Important Info (critical!) NF3 250Gb

Hello everyone. My name is Travis, or Angry_Games, and I'd like to welcome you to our little corner here at DFI-Street Forums.

We appreciate everyone that stops in looking for help, tips, or just general chitchat. I have two things to talk about real quick, then you can get on to your browsing of the forum =)

1. To everyone that owns a DFI Motherboard: I am a full time DFI employee, hired to do support for them in this forum. I am here for all of you, and will work hard to solve any problems that you bring to our attention.

ALSO NOTE: RGone is a fellow DFI Employee here to assist you (and me!)

This means you aren't just getting answers from someone that might or might not know the answer to your question/problem. It means that whatever I cannot answer myself, and no one else has the answer, I will forward your problem/question on to the engineers at DFI themselves.

DFI is, in my opinion, the best motherboard maker I have ever been involved with, and not just because of the products they make. They have the best support efforts in the industry, and work to make sure each customer is happy, which in turn virtually guarantees that we will all be more than willing to try new DFI products as they come out. You will all see the truth of this statement as time goes on!

2. To those who are thinking of purchasing a DFI motherboard: The fact that this forum has an official DFI tech should make deciding on a DFI an easy choice.

I've browsed a lot of forums looking for help, and when AMDMB had an official tech (representative) in the Epox forum, I bought an Epox NF2 (8RDA3+), mostly because of the great reveiws, but at least 50% of my decision was the fact that I could get REAL support from Epox right here in our forums!

Now that we have official representation from DFI, I want to let you know, that you don't have to fear being left in the dark if you purchase a DFI motherboard and run across some issues.

This place is still relatively new, and we want to make it as easy to find answers as possible, and as friendly as can be. We (me and the mods) are always open to suggestions, all you have to do is PM one of us (I am not a mod but I can forward any question/suggestion you have).

The other sticky post up here has LOTS of good information for DFI owners, and is going to be edited to include more info, as that info comes in.

Again, anything that you have questions about, please post. You can always PM me, or send me an email (in my sig), or do the same with RGone. Thanks!

Travis H.

Angry_Games

EXTREMELY IMPORTANTO!!!

Hola all DFI'ers.

If you are reporting a problem or have some questions, please, please, go into your user control panel here at the forums and add your system's specs to your signature.

This is essential so that I nor anyone else that answers doesn't have to constantly ask (or re-read by scrolling back up or a page back a hundred times) what RAM or video card you have.

It doesn't have to be pretty (like mine heh)...it just needs to be listed.

Should include:

• which model of motherboard and which BIOS version
  • cpu and how you cool it
  • RAM make and specs, 2x256 or 1x512 so we know =) (chip type like Winbond or Samsung or Hynix etc is preferrable too but not necessary)
  • Video card model (radeon 9600XT or FX5950 Ultra etc)
  • Hard drives, either PATA or SATA or both, sizes/models, if you have them in RAID array
  • Sound card or onboard sound. If you are having a problem with onboard or PCI sound audio, list driver version also
  • Other that you might want or need listed (see below this)

usercp1.jpg

===============================================

usercp2.jpg

usercp3.jpg

Other: If you are having a specific problem, edit your sig for the time being to reflect this. For instance, if you are having a problem with the Soundstorm onboard audio, edit your sig a bit and leave the driver version you are using next to it.

Or say an overclock problem...then list your fastest stable overclock. For instance if you can easily do 230, but need help trying to get to 235 or such, listing your best overclock that is stable enables us to see what settings you have going and can better suggest our opinions in return.

Voltages are good to list to for overclocking problems. If you come and tell us you can hit 200 but not 205, and don't list any voltages or RAM settings, it could be a crapshoot as to what the reason you can't get higher is.

My point is...there are many many many friendly and knowledgable people here. I'm around a lot but not 100% of the time, and besides, if you only would listen to things that I alone told you, you would scare me LOL. Getting verification from me on something PLUS 10 other users giving their thoughts, opinions, experiences is much much better. I can do a lot of things that a lot of you cannot do on these boards...simply by experience and sometimes intimate knowledge. There are things I learn from you guys every day just by reading the communication back and forth between everyone. (I just dont admit i learning from you guys as well cuz it makes me look cheesier heh).

And those people are like me, not psychic. We need as much information about your machine as you can give us. The more the better. Trust me when I say i've seen new forum users post a problem and had his complete specs in his sig and 10 guys jumped in and gave him the right answer right away, with about 3 different variations of how to do it right =). Just because they saw instantly something they have seen themselves and knew right away what to check for!!!

I know I harp on this sig thing alot. But its very important. I want to give you good service, and you want to give good service. You have to give me a little work in the short-run to get a lot of work in the long run ;) I will always answer your questions even if you don't put your specs in your sig. But my answers will seem redundant a lot if I have no clue what is in your machine. It is aggravating to have to exchange up to 5 or more emails just to establish what motherboard model a customer has sometimes!

I don't care if you list it in a colum or separated by // or :: or in a graphic sig...as long as the info is there. Regulars here know that after time, and you learn your rig by heart, you can cut down the sig a little or a lot or such. But at first, or when you have a problem, be as complete as you can!!

You let me know what you got, and me along with everyone else here will always do our best to fix your issues, offer advice, help out in any way.

argh I hate speeches too. Hope everyone reads this, both new users all the way down to the oldest DFI vets :D

Thank you,

Travis (Angry_Speechmaker)

DFI Motherboards - Important Information & Links

Official DFI LANPARTY Website:

Official DFI LanParty website!

Official DFI Support Page (all models):

Official DFI Support Page

Official DFI LanParty Memory Support (KT400A):

Official LANPARTY Memory Support (KT400A)

Official DFI LANPARTY Memory Support (NForce2 - LanParty "A"):

Official DFI LANPARTY Memory Support (NForce2)

Official DFI LanParty NF2 "B" / Ultra Infinity NF2 memory support:

DFI LanParty NF2 "B" / Ultra Infinity NF2 memory support

Official DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb memory support:

DFI LanParty UT NF3 250Gb memory support

Official DFI Downloads Page (all models):

Official DFI Download Page (all models including LANPARTY)

Official DFI LanParty Downloads Page:

Official DFI LanParty Downloads Page (KT400A, NForce2, Intel Pro875)

Important DFI FAQs:

Important DFI FAQs!!! (incomplete, but I am working on it!!!)

DFI Beta BIOSes:

DFI Beta BIOSes created by Oskar Wu

Angry_Games's page of good stuff to check out! (lots of pics!):

Angry_Games's Page of Goodies ;)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

OTHER IMPORTANT DOWNLOADS/LINKS

1. Prime95 - This program will test out your cpu/RAM stability like no other. It will also test out how good your cooling is!

2. Memtest86 - this free software will report errors in your RAM on yoru system without Windows being needed. Its a more thorough memory tester than the BIOS's own memory test at boot.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The correct way to flash your BIOS

Question: What is the best way to flash my BIOS?

Answer: After flashing your BIOS, you should power down the computer when after the flash procedure exits and restarts your computer.

For the best guarantee that everything works properly:

Unplug the power cord to the computer to completely power down

clear CMOS jumper for 30 seconds

Power computer back up, and immediately go into the BIOS

Choose "Load Failsafe Defaults" or "Load Optimized"

Save and exit

Immediately after reboot, go back into the BIOS and configure to your liking

Clearing CMOS after a flash helps clear any old settings in the BIOS that might conflict with the new BIOS codes.

Always remember to completely power down the board by removing the computer's power cable or the motherboard's ATX power block plug before clearing the CMOS jumper. This is straight from DFI.

Here is the 'official' DFI way of clearing the CMOS:

every time you flash to a new bios, it is very important to clear the old BIOS settings out this way:

1. pull power

2. pull battery

3. clear cmos jumper for minimum of 30-60 seconds

4. replace cmos jumper to normal position

5. replace battery

6. replace power

7. boot to bios and load optimized defaults

8. save and exit

9. boot back to bios and now you can change settings to your liking.

always remember that alpha and beta bioses are to be used at your own risk. they are not official BIOSes for a reason.

EDIT: there is a new addenum included with new Infinity/LP NF2 motherboards that states instead of clearing CMOS, you should use the J8 jumper (forces 100FSB) instead. I will have Alexia scan his and post it up here to clarify.

Dear Customer,

The additional ATX 12V connection housing is design for providing independent power source for CPU. On DFI AMD platforms, we provide independent source for CPU and also reserved the power sharing from system power connector. Even if you don’t plug the additional 12V connection, the system still can run normally. We recommend you connecting the additional 12V to provide CPU an independent power source to guarantee the better stability. If the PSU supplier does not attach the connector for additional 12V, you can buy the adaptor from computer accessory store.

For all Intel P4 platforms, additional 12V is absolutely required since there will be higher power consumption for CPU.

Best Regards,

DFI Support

also, vdimm (memory) gets power/voltage from the +3.3v line of your PSU.

See above post about Power Supplies for more information

Ok, this post will be in two parts.

PART 1 - Slipstream SP2 into WindowsXP install CD-ROM + OS/driver installation order

First thing, make sure your XP has Service Pack 2 already integrated into it. Most XP's are all now integrated, but maybe some of you have an older copy of it without this. Please click this link and learn how to integrate it into an XP installation cd.

Integrating SP2 into Windows XP (Home & Pro versions)

(pop-up free @ Angrygames.com!)

==============================================

Basic order of loading software on fresh/new install:

1. chipset drivers - Intel boards, 5.10 Nvidia NF2/NF3 chipset drivers for WinXP or 6.53 NForce4 Standalone Drivers for NF4 boards for 2k/XP

2. Windows 2000/XP Critical updates (I suggest leaving Automatic Updates ENABLED)

3. Video Card Drivers (ATI / NVidia etc)

4. Audio card drivers/periphial drivers (printers, scanners etc)

5. Windows update for driver updates/non-criticals like WinMedia9 etc

6. Anti-Virus and other software

7. remember to CHECK FOR UPDATES WEEKLY! Windowsupdate, Norton/McAffee anti-virus, etc.

NOTE: the LanParty NF2B (any NF2 board with Gigabit LAN, and this also includes the Intel boards) has Gigabit LAN...the driver for this will NOT be in the 5.10 or chipset drivers package...it is on the CD-ROM that came with the board (LP-B and Intel boards alike).

once you install this LAN driver, you can access your network/cable/dsl, and windowsupdate will have an updated driver for it most likely =)

NOTE: NF2/NF3/NF4 OWNERS - DO NOT INSTALL THE SW-IDE DRIVER IN THE NF2/NF3/NF4 CHIPSET PACKAGE UNLESS USING RAID!!! PLEASE UNINSTALL THE CHIPSET DRIVERS AND RE-INSTALL AND TELL THE SW-IDE DRIVER PROMPT TO "NO" AND DO NOT INSTALL THEM!!! SW-IDE DRIVER IS WELL KNOWN FOR HOSING/LOCKING/FREEZING/NO-BOOTING ETC AFTER INSTALLING!!! (it is also well known to make CD-RW/DVD-RW drives not function correctly!)

NOTE: I Do not recommend you use anything but the 5.10 drivers for NF2 and NF3 motherboards! if you use the 6.53 drivers on your NF2/NF3, it will not install the GART (AGP) driver and AGP acceleration will be DISABLED! (but again, I advise against this driver on NF2 and NF3 chipsets!)

=======================================

=======================================

PART 2 - Slipstream SP into Windows 2000 (floppy-less install!)

http://nuhi.msfn.org/ (has a support forum)

The following setup steps were adapted from the manual version (below) and are ONLY FOR WINDOWS 2000, but in summary:

1) Ensure you have enough free workspace and choose a drive with ~1G free

2) Create a working directory (ie W2KSS)

3) Make three subdirectories within W2KSS called 'OS', 'SP', 'DFI'

4) Copy contents of your install CD into 'OS'.

5) Download to the network installation of the latest W2K service pack (currently SP4) into 'W2KSS' and rename to 'SP.exe'.

6) Extract the contents of the service pack. This requires a commandline statement (ie Z:W2KSSSP.EXE /U /X:Z:W2KSSSP) I used the drive letter Z:, but you should choose the drive you have used.

7) Now, apply service pack to the installation CD directory. This requires a command line statement (ie Z:W2KSSSPI386UPDATEUPDATE.EXE /S:Z:W2KSSROOT). It will now go through the update process.

8) Copy the NVRAID driver disk contents into 'DFI'

9) Run 'nlite'. The program is fairly straight forward with many many options I have not explored. For the basic setup, choose to update drivers and make a bootable ISO (CD image). Select the OS directory for the W2K install contents and the DFI .inf/directory for driver updates. The program takes it from here and makes an ISO.

10) Use favourite CD burning app to burn ISO image.

If you want to read about how it's done manually, I found this artile to be very thorough (XP and W2K):

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

(this can be done for WindowsXP also. Please see links for information on how!)

MAJOR THANK YOU'S TO JESS1313/SJ + synaptech!

• 4 months later...

Please make sure that your hdd's are running at Auto or LBA in the BIOS. This can cure a LOT of slow booting or non-detecting hdd problems:

lp-b_240x9-1a.jpg

for some reason, sometimes hdd's will be detected/defaulted to CHS mode.

Boards affected:

DFI Infinity NF2 Ultra

DFI LanParty NF2B

Dear All,

If customer uses modules with mixed memory size, please request him insert the higher capacity at prior DIMM socket. The highest one is to be inserted into DIMM1; and the lowest one, into DIMM3. Otherwise, there might be instability. This is not a design bug. It is the limitation in addition to the memory transfer speed of K8 CPU.

Best,

HH

Word comes today that we cannot officially support DTR or mobile Athlon64 processors on our board(s).

Let me explain...AMD themselves says no support for DTR & Mobile on desktop boards. AMD also has made it clear to motherboard mfg's that we may not claim support/compatibility of these processors on desktop-only boards (like our NF3 UT).

This means we cannot spend lab manpower trying to fix issues that might arise from the use of a DTR/mobile Athlon64 (this also is true of our AthlonXP but we've done everything we can to make that one work).

Now...before anyone gets bent out of shape...DFI-Street is here to try and help out when you come across issues...just like no motherboard mfg supports overclocking or modifying of the boards...Rgone and I and this community is here to offer 'unofficial' support. We are paid employees of DFI, and our goal is to make your DFI experience the best and keep you coming back for more.

But we can only do so much...creating this place was a means to get other experts and knowledgeable persons together to help where we, as company employees, cannot. Rgone and I overclock and use beta/modified bioses just to show you that they do work, or to show you how you might achieve whatever it is you are looking to achieve. But some things we cannot do...and support of mobile and DTR processors is one of them now.

What does this truly mean?

It means that Oskar nor any other on the DFI team can try to pin down any problems you might have with DTR/mobile cpu's.

At the same time...we've built a big enough community, and have guys like jess1313/SJ, Hellfire, tictac (he's around somewhere dont worry!), Viper John (ATI/vid card master), and others, to help when DFI cannot. Oskar can give them (and us, and you!) advice, but putting company resources to this just cannot happen anymore.

So...you think that this means that you are screwed? Not even...our boards run DTR/mobile cpu's just fine for the most part (some have quirks etc). Our bios modders and other experts are pretty dang handy at figuring things out too, and have filled in where Oskar could not, and will continue to do so.

Problems will arise for some with these cpu's, and probably more will arise with the newer AMD DTR/Mobile cpu's that come down the line...but also remember that newer (smaller, cooler, faster!) desktop chips will also come down that same line...and those we will do everything we can to let you crank them up to the highest possible speeds (until the fire department shows up!).

So...don't look at this as abandonment...we have no choice but to make it clear that we cannot officially support the chips. You really won't see much change around here honestly...unless AMD releases a new DTR/mobile that absolutely hates our boards....we won't be able to help with that in any official manner. Any desktop they release we will make sure it works though!

I just have to make sure everyone knows where our position has to be on this. DFI doesn't support overclocking nor modifying...but you see how we 'unofficially' support it... ;)

This post is only to let everyone know, make sure everyone knows, the official, solid stance on DTR/Mobile.

Thanks,

Travis

try this:

go into bios, to this screen in the Genie BIOS Section

nf3_bios9b.jpg

now look on the top side of the AGP slot (cpu side).

look at the two stickers

the one closest to the I/O (printer/serial ports etc) is your MAC address for the NV LAN. Input this number, save and exit.

• 4 weeks later...