nF4 SLI-DR stability issues under load

:eek2:

So right after I click the submit button on my new eVGA order I get this in my inbox from XFX -

"Dear Sir,

The 6800 XT default clocks should be 325mhz core and 700mhz memory. If

you card is overheating, make sure that you have good air flow

throughout your system case."

Well that's awesome! So now I've got a pair of cards that need to be clocked way under what the drivers detect, and now I've got a 7800GT on the way...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you guys tried the new AMD x2 drivers and the windows XP hot fix for Dual core CPUs also try to set the Affinity of the game to use only one core and let me know what happens!!!

unhappy to say: Single Core here m8... ;)

Thnx anyway for cracking your brain over the situation! Keep the suggestions coming!

Have you guys tried the new AMD x2 drivers and the windows XP hot fix for Dual core CPUs also try to set the Affinity of the game to use only one core and let me know what happens!!!

Hotfix yes, X2 drivers no (the DFI site said to ignore it if I was planning on OC'ing, so I did).

Prior to installing the new card I had the system stable and running just a single card instead of both in SLI. This seemed to work pretty well... I'm planning on purchasing another 7800GT card in the near future - if I have problems with that then my MOBO is going back, because that's the last thing that hasn't been sent back.

Well,

Finally got around to more testing. Got my rig prime stable at 258FSB, 1:1. Putting the card at its stock speeds, BF2 still crashes after a couple of mins... :sad:

Since this cards stock speeds are higher than "regular" 7800GT's, and RMA-ing the thing wipes off the difference with a other card (postage-costs and time without a videocard) I'll settle for underclocking to a level somewhat higher than the Nvidia-standards...

Greetz!

One last analysis:

Using Rivatuner I saw the fan-speed of the card was set to:

• default 2D: 28%
  • low power 3D: 43%
  • Performance 3D: 43%

Why keep those the same!? I changed the last "Performance 3D"-value to 70%, and tested BF2 with stock Videocard-speeds. Hung within 10 seconds...

Also, I noticed that Doom3 does make my PC crash... So, "glad" to say, no difference between OpenGL and D3D like I assumed earlier in this thread.

Tested with only MBM5 as a monitor, using the settings-package from this board, and kept every setting alike in every run. EXCEPT the FSAA...

Settings:

Video Quality: Ultra Quality

Resolution: 1280x1024

Full screen: yes

Speaker: Surround

High quality special effects: yes

enable shadows: yes

enable specular: yes

enable bump maps: yes

vertical sync: no

My test-runs were the same every time:

1] Wait untill the videocard dropped to its lowest temp (41 degrees Celsius)

2] Start Doom3

3] Set FSAA to the required setting

4] Restart Doom3

5] Run "Timedemo demo1" 4 times

6] Record videocard-temp and end of 4th run

7] Average the scores of run 2-4

Setting FPS Temp

No AA 88 61

4x 55 65

8x 20 68

16x Crashed in 2nd run, highest temp seen in MBM5: 66 degrees. That's lower than at 8x!? Highest FPS seen (not end-score): ~23

My former conclusion was a temp-problem, but I just proved that wrong I guess? It's just lazy, I guess... ;) This card is going RMA...

Greetz!!