Sign in to follow this  
HokieRif

nF4 SLI-DR stability issues under load

i wish you luck! I am having weird gremlins-like issues here. :) But seems to be temp-related. FYI maybe that may be the issue for you, too. WHo knows?

Spent the evening removing the X-Fi, installing a Live!, removing the Live! because it gave the same results (and it sounded horrible... amazing the difference in sound between the 2 cards... night and day difference), lowering the memory voltage, bringing voltage back up and tightening the timings back to 2-3-3-6, all with the same result...

So... I've now convinced myself that it's not a memory issue (at least the system memory - although I'm going to test 2.5-3-3-6 tonight at 2.6-2.7v). It's not a heat issue, it's not a sound issue, and it's not a CPU issue. Power is sufficient (nvidia says it's cool and nobody here has objected).... Throwing my hd's out of the mix (which haven't had any hint of a problem) I'm left with 2 things: the 2 graphics cards, or the mobo itself...

I'm going to try a single card test this evening on both cards to see what happens. If it works fine, cards are going back and I'm going with a different vendor and a better model. If I still get the crashes, well, I might pick up that hammer... or maybe an RMA for the mobo.

I have played for 6 hours non-stop today... Leaving the case open, and putting the side-cover in an angle, letting the fans in the side blow down on the videocard... Card runs on 420/1000.

I'll do some extended tests tonight running stock speeds.

I have played for 6 hours non-stop today

Man... I wish I had that kind of time :)

Sounds like you might be getting closer to the root of the problem. Right now I'm thinking it's the stability of the GPU at that speed, because you said temps actually went up when you dropped the clock speed. You might need to RMA the card and/or get an entirely new brand/model.

Man... I wish I had that kind of time :)

Sounds like you might be getting closer to the root of the problem. Right now I'm thinking it's the stability of the GPU at that speed, because you said temps actually went up when you dropped the clock speed. You might need to RMA the card and/or get an entirely new brand/model.

I took a week vacation to build and test. Damn them for sending the package 3 days late!! :(;)

But I think you misread something (or I miswrote someting), temps went down, after underclock.

But I think you misread something (or I miswrote someting), temps went down, after underclock.

Ok, then I really might be on track to finding the problem. I'll need to verify what I saw a couple days ago, but I swear my temps actualy went up when I underclocked the card. If that's the case I'm sending these puppies back to newegg and getting a better card. It's rediculous to have a problem like this....

I'm glad to hear you managed 6+ hours without crashing - at least one of us is making progress :)

Just tried on stock temps, with the same open case. Less then 5 minutes... *poof*... :sad:

I guess I have 2 options, new case (CoolerMaster Stacker (STC-T01) :D) or change videocard to different brand/type?

any coincidence we're both running XFX cards and having problems? I think XFX needs to take a look at their heatsink/fan setup on their cards, or maybe their entire line...

You also have a third option - new GPU and mem heatsinks for the card. I've heard a LOT of good things about the Zalman coolers (except the Fatal1ty, which you're basically just paying for the name). If you don't mind keeping the XFX I would suggest that route instead of buying a new case.

:spam: <--- see this? This is what the XFX cards are worth, at least when attempting to run them in SLI. I took out the lower card and reset the SLI jumpers to single mode and guess what... 2 hours strong with not a hitch, and I mean nothing, to hint that something is wrong. X-Fi is in the house and making some EAX 2.0 noise with Far Cry, mem timing is back to 2-3-3-6, and the latest/greatest nVidia drivers are installed....

I'm sending these back to newegg for a refund... but first - anyone have a suggestion on a 7800? I'm looking at the eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT (which will actually be cheaper than the 6800's combined price).

MSI 7800GTX 256MB Lite Version is a good choice with a fair price. They can be overclocked fairly high, too. I currently have one in my rig, but soon it will be two running in SLi. :D

Congrats on your fix! I was thinking my problem was X-Fi related and am unsure now because it seems to be effecting the onboard sound as well. Maybe I have a GPU problem as you did.

-Magik

Well, I decided to go with the eVGA card above, and a 7800 in general, after reading a few editorial reviews and a lot of user reviews... I'm having a hard time believeing a 7800 outpaces a dual 6800 setup, but we'll see... A month from now maybe I'll be runing SLI again :)