Virtual Memory constantly filled, always expanding HELP!!

I have an 8 month old DIY PC with 1gb ram on a single DIMM. I set the pagefile to around 6 gig and if the PC sits overnight, by morning the pagefile is maxxed out and I'm getting Virtual memory too low, system expanding. I check the task manager and I don't see anything hogging memory, and I don't see why it's using so much. I've tried the MS solution of set no pagefile, reboot, set page file, reboot, no dice on that. Anyone have any other ideas? Heats are all pretty good 44c chipset 28c proc

I have. Unfortunatly the answer is nothing. The pagefile will be maxxed out at 6.15 gig and the biggest leech on the usage is Firefox at a whopping 58 meg or so. However, the other day when I was looking into this, I closed all of the open programs and I went from 6.15 to 258 meg. I would have thought, "this must be tied to the internet" but even if I don't have the web open, if I just leave the PC sit on overnight, similar results. It's almost like the VM starts to just get filled and filled and filled and then if I kill a task or close a window, it will right itself. I am using the Nvida firewall that came with the mobo, I have mcafee virus up to date, spybot and adaware.

BTW, thank you for responding, I'm pulling my hair out. Any ideas anyone has is VERY appreciated.

Use Lavasoft's Adaware Personal and Spybot to check your system for spyware etc. Make sure to turn system restore off before running the scan cleaning the files. Afterwords reboot your p/c you'e done cleaning files.

Uninstall Nvidia's Active Armour and Firewall.

Why do you have your page file set @ 6 gigs?

Your page file should be set somewhere in the neighborhood of 1533mb or less.

Sounds like a memory leak.

One of the many ways memory sticks can crap out. They loose the ability to remove data once its been used, so from the moment you turn on the pc, they just fill up with whatever and it never removes itself from the memory.

The symptoms sound very like what you're experiencing. The memory cleans itself on shutdown, so the pc works fine as soon as windows loads, but gets slower and slower the longer it stays on, as more of the memory (and then the page file) gets eaten up.

Try the stick in another board if you can.

I had never had one of those but had heard of them. Any way you know of testing for it? I don't really want to buy a new stick if I can avoid it, but if that's the problem, that's what I'll do.

I have it set at 6 gig cuz it constantly told me it was too low and I wanted to know if there was a point at which "the madness would be stopped"

Sounds like a memory leak.

One of the many ways memory sticks can crap out. They loose the ability to remove data once its been used, so from the moment you turn on the pc, they just fill up with whatever and it never removes itself from the memory.

The symptoms sound very like what you're experiencing. The memory cleans itself on shutdown, so the pc works fine as soon as windows loads, but gets slower and slower the longer it stays on, as more of the memory (and then the page file) gets eaten up.

Try the stick in another board if you can.

Azuerus was doing this same thing to me when I had the NVidia LAN drivers installed(Firewall was not though). The java process that run is associated with Azureus was eating memory. If I had let it go like d_the_duck the same VM error would have happened to me. Uninstalling the drivers completely did the trick for me.

Hello,

Do you have the nvidia firewall installed?

Go for a reinstall +quick format.

Then when you install the chipset drivers,

# Do not install the nvidia SW IDE driver

# Do not install the nvidia firewall/NAM software (network access manager)

Guest ElAguila
I had never had one of those but had heard of them. Any way you know of testing for it? I don't really want to buy a new stick if I can avoid it, but if that's the problem, that's what I'll do.

I have it set at 6 gig cuz it constantly told me it was too low and I wanted to know if there was a point at which "the madness would be stopped"

Memory leak means that there is an application or process running that continues to use memory eventhough it isn't needed.