Sign in to follow this  
thegnode

3 red lights at boot

My computer has been working for about 3 months fine with minimal problems but today when I restarted it it randomly decided to stop working. I have 3 red lights. What does this mean?

3 LEDs means your cpu has been detected. Next is the ram test, so I guess its something wrong with the ram. Did you try clearing the cmos. I get the same thing sometimes but when I reset its fine.. This started happening to me after a bad bios flash. Did you flash any bios recently? or change ram timings?

You might try taking off one stick and booting with a ram stick in #2.

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

Havent done anything to the computer in 2 months.

I placed the cmos jumper in the flash position, turned the computer on, turned it off, put it back, and turned it on, and still received same error.

Placed 1 stick of ram in all 4 slots. Did not work. Am now pulling ram from this computer to try.

Will update after I have this one on again..

Havent done anything to the computer in 2 months.

I placed the cmos jumper in the flash position, turned the computer on, turned it off, put it back, and turned it on, and still received same error.

Placed 1 stick of ram in all 4 slots. Did not work. Am now pulling ram from this computer to try.

Will update after I have this one on again..

NEVER power on the rig while the CMOS jumper is in the clear position.

See here...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...16&postcount=19

Ouch! Never, ever, ever, ever power the m/b on with the jumper in the clear position - on any motherboard. A sure-fire way to fry your BIOS (and possibly other components on your m/b)

Thats how it works on every other motherboard on the face of the planet. Most motherboards are shipped with it in the clear position.

Anyway, my computer is working with different memory now. Going to test the mushkin warranty now I suppose.

Absolutely wrong! Every motherboard on the planet is shipped with the CMOS jumper in the save position! Not the clear position. The clear CMOS jumper is specifically designed to reset your BIOS to factory defaults. Face it, if you powered your m/b on with the CMOS jumper in the clear position you have more than likely fried your motherboard. I don't care whether it's MSI, ASUS, ABIT or DFI, you are screwed. You must never power up your m/b with the CMOS jumper in the clear position!

Thats how it works on every other motherboard on the face of the planet. Most motherboards are shipped with it in the clear position.

Huh..! :drool:

Thats how every mobo is shipped????

How is that possible? I know NONE of my mobo's were ever shipped with jumper in clear position..!!

I dont if it will fry the mobo or not(most likely it will), but there is no possible way it can work if you power on with the clear position..!

Huh..! :drool:

Thats how every mobo is shipped????

How is that possible? I know NONE of my mobo's were ever shipped with jumper in clear position..!!

I dont if it will fry the mobo or not(most likely it will), but there is no possible way it can work if you power on with the clear position..!

I know of a PC CHIPS mobo I once bought for a client did. :)

http://www.epinions.com/content_131662188164

That's my epinions of it. It drove me nuts until I found out. If I remember correctly, it just didn't POST. This was the only board that came shipped that way. Unless someone at QA didn't check for it, or someone at NewEgg opened the box, messed with it, and then put it back.

I guess this motherboard started it all - my relentless pursuit of making things work. Well, at least when it comes to computers. :) Anything else, I'd return to the store immediately upon not powering up.

Across the hundreds of rigs I build a year, I've come across three or four with the jumper in the clear position in the last five years.

Since all my components are tested prior to a build, it's easy to catch the ones that are wrong.

Talk about pulling your hair out troubleshooting. IBM has a bad habit of shipping their power supplies with the switch in the 230V position. They do this since their hardware is shipped world wide.

I watched a tech send back three "dead" replacement power supplies in a row because he didn't check the switch.

haha... classic. Here's a funny one - I used to work at a place that makes machines that tests packaged chips. they use sun machines to interface with pretty much everything on the machine. One day, we were having issues with the workstation. I caught the 110/230 switch - changed it back to 110v. All of a sudden, I smelled burning.

Turns out they WERE using 230v in the facility. I had to fess up to the bossman, lol. we both had a laugh. This was in California, so um... no place exotic that is on the 230 standard. the heavy machines (logic and memory testers) were using 3-phase 230v, and the workstation is also powered in the same circuit.

As for the PC Chips board, I did eventually find it out, lol. I am going to have to make a habit of building and OCing a PC outside the case.