is service pack 2 taboo?

Grunt_Style

i put service pack 2 on my computer. i havent noticed anything bad about it. i was on my dads pc the other day and i non-chalantly clicked to install service pack 2 on a whim. it did its thing and 2 days later my dad was throwing a fit. he insists that i messed up his computer and now its all slow this. and freeze that. geeze ill never hear the end of it. my question is should i take it off my system? or should i ignore a 65 year old paranoid man, and leave it on.

i do believe most people on here run sp2. infact there is a how-to on how to make sp2 slipstream if ur xp install cd didnt come with sp2. leave it alone

Service packs.... hmmm...

My personal thought on them is this...

I always try to never install a service pack on a fully working install. Its like doing a Windows Upgrade (which I also never do... yknow from say like 95 to Windows 2000).

I personally intigrate the service pack into the install CD (Slipstream) and then I try it out on a spare PC or Virtual PC to make sure it works, then once my install on my main rig fubar's I then install it.

I much prefer a fresh install of XP with a new service pack slipstreamed in to an "upgrade" install of a service pack. I have been using Service pack 2 now since its offical release (slipstreamed of course and a fresh install) and I have never had any issues with it.

i also much prefer the slipstreamed version- in fact it's the only version that l could get to install on my machine. pcie really doesn't work well without it(and pci.sys lol). i made my own cd without much fuss- just googled the net for instructions.

sometimes an update is a good thing. many aspects of sp2 are better than before. but some are a pain in the @ss. once you figure out which ones to disable you're ok. personally i hate the security center. but that's easily remedied. i do like the built in popup stopper.

also your dad's machine may be overdue for driver updates, which a clean install with a slip streamed cd would also likely cure. heck if dad will let you touch it again lol. might be worth a shot.

I think you should go look at your dads computer it is very possible that you messed it up if he had incompatable programs on it.

No offence but you really should not mess with other peoples property like that. :confused: If he wanted to install it he could have himself. You better bring a valid copy of windows too if he doesnt have a copy or a back up as windows may not let you cleanly remove SP2.