Sign in to follow this  
Grunt_Style

darn...just rolled my chair over my 4400 cip.

Guest Milkshake
No offense, but I'm having a great deal of difficulty accepting your logic.

Hypothetical Scenario 1: Grunt Style attempts to repair the pins and is successful. However, the CPU does not function. He then contacts AMD and explains the situation, truethfully without omitting the fact he attempted to replace the pins. AMD refuses to honor the warranty due to a non-factory modification.

Hypothetical Scenario 2: Grunt Style attempts to repair the pins and is successful. However, the CPU does not function. He then contacts AMD and explains the situation, omitting the fact he attempted to replace the pins. He sends the processor in for repair / replacement after receiving a RMA number. Once AMD receives the CPU, they find the evidence of his repair attempt (solder points at base of pins, probably with scorch marks). RMA refused and warranty voided due to non-factory modification.

Here is what I would deem as proper:

1. Contact AMD's RMA department and truethfully explain the situation why the pins were broken.

2. If AMD will replace the processor for free (I would assume minus shipping charges) then that would be the best option.

3. If AMD will repair or replace the processor (I would guess for a nominal fee) then go with that option as it will keep the warranty intact.

4. If AMD will not replace or repair the processor, then contact Gary Headlee at www.motherboardrepair.com and get a estimate for repairing the missing pins.

I see what you mean. I have never had to deal with something like this situation so I have a blurry sence of what the right thing to do would be. Steps 1-3 look good but if they refuse what if that guy cant fix it and it ends up costing more? This is a tough situation. If it really did happen to me, without thinking Id probably just throw it away and buy another. So I should stop saying what I would do because I've never been in this situation. But goober you pose some good points. Definetly got me thinking about what I should do if something bad happens to me.

Hey, I have an idea, Mail it back as an RMA and when they tell you the pins are damaged just say "What did you guys do to my chip????

Funny, but bad advice. lol

Hey, I have an idea, Mail it back as an RMA and when they tell you the pins are damaged just say "What did you guys do to my chip????

Guest Timmay

Im sorry, He left an X2 4400 Just laying on his desk :mad:

What ever happened to this guys chip?

i ended up keeping it around as a paperweight. it gets laughs from my friends when they see my $500 booboo

Guest Neezer

Sorry to hear about the chip. 500 is a lot of money. I find it a little bit ironic that I am reading the forums and procrastinating writing an engineering ethics paper. :)

i ended up keeping it around as a paperweight. it gets laughs from my friends when they see my $500 booboo

I know this is an old thread, but on reading that I had to pose this. I have also destroyed an X2 4400+, a pin got bent back on itself during installation & when I tried to bend it back it snapped off.

My advice to you is, if its not too much hastle, its still worth trying to RMA. Despite the obvious physical damage involved in my case (although more minimal) AMD were very helpful and did replace the processor. Talking to the AMD customer support staff here in europe I was informed that AMD generally accept RMAs for CPUs with up to 5 broken pins (I even managed to get a reference on that, because my local supplier were being more than a little difficult).

Hope you enjoy it anyway :) paperweight or otherwise

i say that AMD switches to what some Intel's ive seen have.. put the pins on the mobo, and just little dots on the bottom of the processor. the only neg i see to that is that if a pin gets bent, your whole comp is down for weeks instead of using another CPU while RMA'ing. i mean honestly, bending a pin on the mobo is as much of a risk as, say, breaking a transistor off of the mobo while installing it.