[RESOLVED} BAD RAM - Freaking out... $2k in parts, no post (3 LEDs lit

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob, just reading all your posts makes me feel your pain. With all that good stuff on your sig, I wish I could come to your house and help you with it. The name of the game is patience, it is not easy to build a DFI board. Especially if it is your first DFI?

With all that good stuff on your sig, I wish I could come to your house and help you with it. The name of the game is patience, it is not easy to build a DFI board. Especially if it is your first DFI?

LOL. I do too. I've got a kick butt machine, too bad it's still in pieces. I'm expecting it go a lot better with the replacement board. If not then at least I know it's user error and maybe I can mail my stuff to Angry and bribe him with booze or something to put it all together for me. :D

Off to work now. Later.

Rob..

Dont worry too much about flashing the BIOS, I built a comp with the exact same board as you did and have the 4800 version of the AMD dual core. When you get it to post and load your OS it will run off one of the processors while the other will be an "unknown device." Once you get to this point its easy to download and flash the BIOS which will instangly fix it to recognize the dual core setup.

It sounds to me like you just had bad luck and got a DOA motherboard, so i guess all you can do now is wait and see if the new board fixes it. Everything else seems to have been covered by the others. As long as your work area is clear of things that can short out the MB, sounds like you did everything right.

I've had exactly the same problem, with the only variable being a new cpu added into the equation,

ie i replaced my 3200+ with a x2 3800+, both now will not work in dual channel mode on this board, but fine on any other.

I have a very similar system to the posters.

I've followed rgones guide to try and get troublesome memory up and running with no luck

I have the latest bios

I have tried a 8hour cmos clear

Someone suggested reseating the gfx card with a cmos clear, done that.

I've gone through OCZ support http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18320

Right now im stuck running 1gb of my 2gb of ram, in single channel mode.

I am extremely frustrated.

If anyone has any ideas on what i should be doing, please tell me.

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess it's not a board problem... or I've got two bad ones in a row or the Egg shipped back the same one I sent in on RMA.

The same problem persists after RMA'ing the board. I get three LEDs... Same as if I have no RAM installed in the board at all. Doesn't matter where I put either stick, they don't clear the board diagnostic LEDs.

Should I be getting video out at this point (I'm not) or would that not be possible until after the RAM and Video card are detected?

I'm seriously at a loss as to what or how to test at this point. Each component has been independently tested at a local computer shop. The CPU posts, the RAM posts, the video card posts and my power supply tested good. So individually, everything seems fine (except the board??) and yet I can't get it to clear anything but the first diagnostic LED.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

i bet its something to do with timings of your memory, does your memory require a higher voltage to boot to? i remember i had to stick a different stick of memory in and manually set my settings in bios once. was a while back not sure if this could be your issue.

make sure you got both power plugs plugged into the motherboard theres a 5v molex and a 12v molex plug needed to be plugged into the motherboard + the usual big one.

-Andy

I've double and triple checked my power connections... All 4 are on the board as listed in many threads on here... 24pin, 4 pin next to 24pin, molex and FDD power connector...

As a follow up, I just got done testing my power supply rails, everything seems to be in line... 3.38V, 5.21V and 12.26V for the rails... And the ATX power connector matched the pinout voltages posted over at OCZ's power supply support forums.

Again, no video is coming out... Should there be prior to RAM clearing the diag LEDs?

Hey Rob im here in Plano Tx, how far is Wichita Falls from here? Maybe ifs its not too far we can meet up and hopefully get this thing working. Im not a computer engineer or anything, but I have built 2 computers before and will give it my best shot.

supraboytt: Wichita Falls is about 2.5hrs NW of Plano... Thanks very much for the offer, I may just have to take you up on it. That may work out well one of these weekends.

I may be RMA'ing the RAM and/or testing with some spare that the local store has. I'm at a loss as to what else it might be now that the board has been RMA'd, CPU tests good in other systems and PSU seems up to spec on rail voltages.

I'll drop you a line if I don't get this figured out soon.

Thanks again,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...