[RESOLVED} BAD RAM - Freaking out... $2k in parts, no post (3 LEDs lit

***Note - Situation resolved as of 5/18 in regards to the no post condition. See post 37.***

I'm trying my best not to freak out, but I'm going out of my mind about getting in over my head, being stupid for not buying a prebuilt/tested system, etc, etc. Even more so, knowing how my wife will feel about the matter, lol. She didn't like it to begin with, but I convinved her this was better than Dell because they don't make machines with AMD.

Anyway...

I've followed Angry's initial build procedure w/ pics to no avail. I'm not getting a good boot and not getting any video.

I get 2 yellow LEDs (labeled LED1 and LED6, one by the RAM slots and one by the red diagnostic LEDs) that are on persistently, whether the board is powered on or not (unless I kill the PSU). Per the manual, one indicates DRAM power and the other indicates standby power. The 4 RED diagnostic LEDs start with 4 lit when first powered on, then down to 3, then the 4th flashes on and off again after about a half to 2 seconds and it stays at the 3 lit for another 30-60 seconds until I pull the power. This seems to indicate that the CPU was detected but that RAM isn't being detected properly if I am reading the diag lights and the manual correctly.

The rig is as listed in my sig. I don't have a clue about the bios since I have no video. It'll be whatever came preloaded on the board I guess. The board was bought on 12/14 from newegg, but I have not been able to find a version/revision number even though a post mentioned it is supposed to be on the board near the PCI slots.

I have tried each seperate RAM module individually in each slot of the board and the problem persists. I find it difficult to think both RAM modules bad, but I guess it is either that or the board or me.

The EVGA card I have is a dual DVI out and I'm using the provided DVI to VGA adapters in case that may be an issue with the loss of video. At no point does a signal ever get to the monitor though, as it enters power save mode and never comes out from it. I've tried both DVI outputs w/ the attached adapters and neither one seems to send a signal. I've tried moving the PCI-E card into the 2nd PCI-E slot just in case that was the problem, but the same problem persisted.

I've tried to clear the CMOS for 10 minutes using the CMOS jumper and tried to boot again back in the SAVE position, but the same problem persists.

Lastly, I noticed what I thought was strange operation of the on board power button, but this may be normal. Anyway, in case this is a clue, the reset button seems to work (RED LEDs go to 4 then back to 3 when reset is pushed), but the power button that initially turns on the system doesn't seem to be able to turn the board off. This may be normal, but I couldn't find a description of the operation in the manual. So right now, I supply power, hit the power switch, test for 30-60 seconds or so and then turn off the power supply via the switch on the rear of it. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I would appreciate ANY help in trying to figure out my problem here. At one point I thought I had it because I realized I didn't plug in the power to my video card, but I went through the whole process all over again and same result: no post, no video.

I will RMA back whichever (board, RAM, whatever) component you all suspect I need to after I try whatever ideas you guys post for me to go through.

I will be out of town on business for the duration of the week, so I will pick this up when I return Friday evening.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Rob

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off about the power button...it's an ATX switch so make sure your holding in for 4 sec or so to turn the board off not just "poking" it like a reset switch...

since you fired your board up without the power to the video card first you may have damaged the card... or it is possible that it was D.O.A. shouldn't be but that is becomming more and more common now-a-days....get another PCI-E or try a PCI card for video to troubleshoot that one.

you say you followed the guide so Im assuming you have board outside the case, and only the cpu, ram, video plugged in and nothing else (do it on a box & make sure there is no metal bits or a screw lying around underneith doh!)

make sure you have ALL 4 power connectors in and double check they are seated properly ((24 pin ATX, 4 PIN 12 Volt, Floppy type, and HDD molex type) & make sure your VID card is pushed in evenly and all the way

wouldn't hurt to take the battery out and dissconect the power cord for a half hour or so (overkill) just to be sure.

If none of that works don't RMA the board right away...bite the bullet...take it to a RESPECTALE computer shop and have em test it...

Good luck m8

First, if you're following Angry's guide you're probably building this on your desk. Make sure nothing can be shorting out on your mobo, usually the box that it came in works pretty well. Be sure to check all four power plugs are in solidly, pull them out and blow into each of them to make sure they're getting a good connection.

I believe you are correct in guessing its RAM-related, though it could also be the board, it happens I guess...

The only things you can really do to diagnose the problem is try everything in another computer. The ram should be easy enough since i should work in virtually any newer computer, give it a shot and see if they're both ok-could run memtest or a brief (1 hour) stint of prime on them too if you want to double-check them. Alternatively you could try a stick of cheapo ram to see if it'll work in your board.

FYI, I don't have any way in the house of testing components. There may be one or two shops in town to maybe get some bench time. I'll make some calls and see if they can help me out when I'm back next weekend.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

• 1 month later...

Well, after being out of town on business for 3 weeks I finally got my junk down to the local computer shop to test it out. Turns out the components all test good so we've narrowed it down to the board. I'm RMA'ing it and will be working on it in a week or two when I get some time again.

I have had the same problem with my board, Infinity NF4 SLI. I'm thinking it's RAM but I know it's not hardware because it all works in an MSI board I bought just to see if everything worked. I put it all back into the DFI board nad I get nothing. I tried to see if it was the PS/2 slots but they are fine. The worst part about all of this is I have no other computer at home and can only check things out on the web once a dy at work!! It's gonna be slow but if I figure it out or someone else does please let us know. I just wish I could get ahold of someone from DFI to try to figure it out.

Unless the tech has built dfi boards I would do more testing as board is probably good.

Pardon my incredulity, but what additional tests would you recommend?

Video card, CPU and RAM work on other boards. RAM tests successfully in their memory testing thing-a-ma-bobber. And yet 2 sticks of known good RAM won't allow the board to clear it's memory diagnostic in any possible configuration.

Unless you're willing to pay shipping and test/build the thing for me, I'm at the end of testing possibilities here and am sending it back for replacement.

I'll report back should I decide to try the replacement board instead of sell it off and go for something less difficult.

Lowboy:

Instead of posting vague comments about further testing, perhaps you could enlighten me as to what tests should be done to further determine the point(s) of failure.

I've tested all possible configurations as well as testing my components in other systems. Everything points to the board, but if you have something specific in mind I'd be more than pleased to hear it.

It seems to me that I'm out of options though.

By the way, prior to being out of town, I spent 4 months reading here and at bleeding edge and other sites to determine which board to get and which components to equip it with. I've read the installation guides a half dozen times and regularly browse the forums. I don't have all the time in the world, but I've got patience and am quite interested in doing the job right, not necessarily quick.