PWMIC Cooling - Commercial or DIY Solutions?

foodfightr

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres two brackets, you can either use both for a single fan or one each per fan, but if you want to put a fan in the middle area like I did you have to either drill two mounting holes or find some other way to fasten it. I just used hot glue, not very elegant but it works.

case2ys.th.jpg

ram8pt.th.jpg

ramblue6nj.th.jpg

silent42hj.th.jpg <--home made chipset cooler...still works fine...and silent.

yeah i know, cables dont look good, but soon 2 of the IDE cables will be gone....that gives some room to hide cables from PSU....how hot does your raptors get (mostly 36GB models) because mine keeps it at 32 atm. but have a lot of "reading noises" ...clicking when reading on it.

• 2 weeks later...
There's little use sinking the PWM controller (ISL6559CB). That chip doesn't process high currents/voltages and thus it doesn't actually get warm at all.

And indeed, there's no thermal sensor on this chip.

PWMIC sensor is the little yellow bulb near the cpu fet sinks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=37642&d=1127890233

So is the pwmic those black chips that don't have heatsinks- or that little yellow bulb?

Its a TT Sonic tower with 2 120mm coolermaster fans added, they run @ around 1500rpm

with 1.55v on the core I idle @ about 35c and with dual prime 95's going temps max out at about 50c

Very nice looking setup you have there :)

Your cpu temps look a bit high for that two fan configuration though... I have a Scythe Ninja (which according to tests is either equal or worse than the Sonic Tower) with a single Papst 120mm fan @ 1000rpm, and my idle temp is about 35c and max temp with prime95 is about 48c. My cpu (Opty [email protected]) is running at about 0.05V lower voltage than yours, but still I'd expect you to have much lower temps :rolleyes:

I've found the CPU temps lower when the middle fan is placed on the outside of the bottom set of heatpipes instead of the middle, but with the video card their I dont have enough room to place it their. I'm hoping to come up with a mod to rotate the whole heatsink 90 degrees so the fans line up with the rear exhaust.