Sign in to follow this  
Shinzoy

Win XP 64bit setup

Hi all, been a while since i have been here as my rig went well from setup and i have yet to have issues, so in the last week i find out that HL2 64 bit is out so it gives me icentive to go and install Windows XP 64 bit on a different partition, so i grabbed the raid 64 drivers from DFI for my motherboard and set myself up with a floppy and reboot.

i start the windows setup and enter F6 and it shows both the raid driver and mass storage driver both show required so i select both and continue, just as it gets into the starting windows setup screen the screen just stays at that screen setup and seems to lock, it never makes it to press enter for install.

i am not sure what could cause that to happen, regular XP setup starts up fine.

Im just looking for ideas as to what can cause this, it is my first xp 64 setup but i figured at the very least it should make it to the setup screen.

Just a note, I have the HL2 x64 version and the boys at valve f-ed this thing up. Almost 2 months ago I discovered that the game crashes--even with ALL settings set to stock and the game graphics turned down--on the last level of the game. That's right, you can't finish the x64 version of HL2. Two months ago, after I first encountered this problem, I wrote in to their tech support department and the response I got was that the game crashes on the last level were "a known issue" and a fix was being developed "as quickly as possible". As we all know, this is corporate language for, "Screw you; we sold you the game and we will fix it when we feel like fixing it." So, you may not want to switch to x64 as quickly as you may have thought you once did. The only thing you really gain from the x64 version is quicker load times.

As for your problem though, I just looked around online for x64 version drivers for the Silicon Image drivers on Google--using the manual to find out exactly what kind of controller the Ultra-D uses. Good luck!

Hi all, been a while since i have been here as my rig went well from setup and i have yet to have issues, so in the last week i find out that HL2 64 bit is out so it gives me icentive to go and install Windows XP 64 bit on a different partition, so i grabbed the raid 64 drivers from DFI for my motherboard and set myself up with a floppy and reboot.

i start the windows setup and enter F6 and it shows both the raid driver and mass storage driver both show required so i select both and continue, just as it gets into the starting windows setup screen the screen just stays at that screen setup and seems to lock, it never makes it to press enter for install.

i am not sure what could cause that to happen, regular XP setup starts up fine.

Im just looking for ideas as to what can cause this, it is my first xp 64 setup but i figured at the very least it should make it to the setup screen.

Hi Shinzoy,

I have done successfull installs of Windows XP 64 bit using a slipstreamed CD . This link has detailed instructions on how to do it.

Also when installing on the other partition, ensure that this is the only disk connected to the system. There have been reports that Windows will put data on different available drives (hard disks ) that screws thing up for the installer :(

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,

Caspanis