WD Raptor

wakerider017

Just got a 74GB WD raptor..

AND IT IS LOUD! It grinds like crazy! However it seems to be functioning normally...

How loud are these things supposed to be? Is mine normal?

I have two in RAID, and it's crazy loud. I don't know... even the added speed (which there DEFINATELY is) may not be worth it for the extra noise. I've thought about swapping mine out for something else.

Well you could always donate them to me :) I am sure I can find a way to turn down the oise..... many put tem in another room?

Seriously how loud they are depends a lot on how they are mounted the best way is to suspend them in rubber bands. You can also insulate them to some extent place sound insulating material on them or such but thereis a real limit because if they get to hot they will cook and die and these drives run hot to begin with. Might do a search in the mods section or start a thread if anyone is interested.

Hi

I added some rubber washers inbetween the case and the HD (had to cut the washers in half mind to help reduce the overall thickness of the washer and there is NOT a lot of tolerence (gap) anyway) and it helps GREATLY in reducing the noise esp the vibration.

Try it and see......i did use permenant glue on mine though but has to be worth a shot.

I have 2 74GB Raptors on the way. I hope they arent too loud. I just got rid of my MCP-650 for a 655 and now gonna repalce that whining with some Raptors:)

I built my system for silence and the noise of just the 7800GT stock fan is gonna drive my nuts, but I gotta live with it until the 7900's come out, gonna step up. I know, I am allowed to use after market cooling, but I don't feel like wasting my dough when I'm just gonna find there is a better cooler for those cards when it comes out. :|

In my primary and very stable system, I use a samsung spinpoint, which are natoriously quiet.