3DMark05 crashing at stock speed

That dude got SLI. :) I assume we both are non-SLI? I'm getting around 6500 stock. I think I posted my score above.

Oh missed that mate. :)

I'm running around 7400 with a decent overclock. Again, I reccomend As5'ing EVERYTHING in that card. Worked for me. :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna DL the firmware update first. I also saw that on eVGA, their version of Forceware is OLDER than the one in nVidia's page, but not WHQL certified. I also found a NEWER ONE at Guru3D's site. What gives? Are they beta unoffical drivers?

81.94 <- EVGA

82.65 <- Guru 3D website (review site)

81.98 <- nVidia's web page

Wel, it seems that I already have the latest eVGA N517 BIOS (5.70). Updated anyways.

I also tried the different versions of drivers. Now using the official one from nVidia's site (non-beta).

I also took the time to replace whatever TIM eVGA used from the factory with Artic Silver Ceramic - same issues.

Reinstalled 3DMark05.

Reinstalled OS.

Ran at stock speeds.

Turned Memory Bank Interleave off and on.

Turned off CPU Throttling. (CnQ was always off though).

Underclocked both the video GPU and memory.

I think I will be RMAing the video card. :(

Guest Tyranus
very interesting. perhaps you could share a source or sources. i'd really like to look into that more as i'm sure others would.

From what I can gather it's not the nvidia drivers as such that overclocks the card, the cards bios has 3 different settings...

Performance 3D

Low Performance 3D

2D Standard

Each setting uses different clock speeds and voltages... that's why you see the "overclock" when running in Performance 3D mode!

A few forums I've been to with guys modding their bios', they seem to be ditching the Low Performance 3D setting and just having 2!

Not sure If I can post links to other forums you'll have to let me know if you're interested in finding out more!

I found out that while I can pass one session of tests in 3DMark05, if I try to start another one, it would crash. This is stock speeds.

I originally found this out while it was OCed to 262 Mhz (2.62GHz), but backed it down to stock (200 Mhz, 2.0GHz) just to ensure that it was not the OC that was doing it.

Memtests passed 9:30 hrs, Prime95 passed 9:30hrs (start it at night, check it in the morning before I go to work). I wonder if it is my video card now...

Anyone having similar issues? My setup is in my sig. My vid card is specifically the eVGA 7800 GT CO (model 517). Factory OC 470 Mhz core, 1100 MHz memory. Besides the factory OC, I did not overclock the video one bit.

I also tried to disable memory interleve, and same results. When OCed and enabled, it would crash on the first run. When OCed and disabled, I can run a test once, and the 2nd time, it would crash.

I have not started playing games on it yet, as my c omputer is still a Work in Progress (as you can tell).

I had the same problem here too. I had a X800XL and went to a 7800GT OC. It must have been a driver issue and Win I don't have the problem with a new install of Win64.

I have 3 HDs and did a clean install on one with the problem of crashing after the 1st test. Funny thing was all games played fine it would just cause a problem with 3DMarks 05 after the 1st test would end. Wierd.

I couldn't pinpoint where it was screwing up with the install so after I got my 2nd hd setup I just wiped it.

Okay, I'm thoughrouly pissed and frustrated now.

After trying all the methods, I am now reinstalling Wndows just as a frest start. Guess what? Stock speeds and voltages - WinP just locke dup trying to install itself - in the non-graphical part of it. just stopped on the file "parhmse.inf" at "81%" in the "Setup is copying files..." stage (non graphical).

WTF is going on here? It's begining to feel like a non-video issue. RMA the motherboard? Any of the mods here that may have some insight?

I even thought there may be an issue with 3dmark05 and dual core athlons. But this new development cancels that theory.

What, pray tell, causes instability predictably in 3d05? What causes it to lock up during install of windows? Im gonna try again and start the install - im pretty sure it would go trhough. just weird that it didnt now. But at the same time, incredably resilent to any memtests or priming!!! Runs like champ with those two testing!

Also, I tried 3dmark203 loop and prime x2 (2 instances) - after a while, the whole system hard locks. needs hard restart. Is that suppose to happen (like an incompatibility between 2x prime and 3dmark03?) Can someone check for that to see if 2x prime in different affinity and 3dmark03 can be ran at the sametime without a hard lock?

i appologize for my typing weird and thoughts all over the place. it's late, im tired, and pretty cranky right about now. I've had to use the backspace several times in typing this, lol.

gnite.

Update: 2nd time trying to install Winxp - locks up at 87% at the non-graphical part of the install. Stock everything

Will run Memtest overnight again. Maybe bad ram?

I'm thinking about RMAing the motherboard now.

hi,

I had the same problem as you. I could play games ok but running 3D'05 would crash on first pass, some times on loading the first test lol.

Prime passed for 12 hours and memtest also passed. I have Ballistixs memory witch i Know are very problematic so thought these could be the problem. I changed my ram to my G.Skill memory 2x512 and 3d'05 ran perfectally over and over again. I rma'd my ram a few days ago and have new sticks now. I don't know if they ++ 3d'mark run ok together as my pc is in bits, as I am modding the case.

I would sugest trying other ram sticks. Even though my memory passed memtest, there was obviously somthing wrong with them.

Hmm... Interesting... I'll try that. I have some 2x 512 OCZ Gold Rev 2 somewhere (DDR3200 though).

Anyways, passed memtest for 12 hours (yet again), but crashes during installation of Windows XP. This time in the graphical portion.

I'm very scared now. Dunno what may cause the problem.

Tried my OCZ Gold Edition Rev 2 (actually PC3700 - DDR433) - won't even boot/POST. Just shows 3 diag lights (CPU detected), and power LED in front panel blinks.

I even tried one stick on all possible positions - nothing.

Before I did this, I cleared the CMOS.

Now what?