3DMark05 crashing at stock speed

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naddie,

Before I started my O/C attempts with this board I swapped out the stock NF4 cooler for an Evercool VC-RE and I also cleaned the OEM TIM off the chipset and replaced with AS5.

My NF4 chipset never exceeds 46C (overclocked 275 FSB X 10 Multi) Ram running 180 divider and chipset voltage set to 1.7v

I'm running my LDT voltage at 1.3v

I do not have any other memory to test with (nothing that works with the DFI board anyways - all value stuff).

I even tried the OCZ Gold Editin EB (the old 512x2 sticks) - I think they are DDR433 or 466s - they didn't work (I posted about that earlier in this thread, too).

It only seems to work with the G.SKILLs I have, and even then, only in pairs (deson't boot up with stick).

Well, seems like everything is fine stock now, except for running Prime95 & 3dmark03 together (even one prime on one core, and the 3dmark set to use the other core).

PC just hard locks after a while. Maybe a cooling issue?

Interested in this test because I want to do some video/audio encoding, or even RARing in the background while playing a game.

Issue resolved - NF4 chipset overheating (for stock issues)

Used Evercool VC-RE as suggested, works great! Also moved PCIe video card to lower slot (8x).

Overclocking issues: Despite Memtest and Prime stable at 262 MHz, 3Dmark03 and Prime crashes (when ran together). Bringing it down to 258 MHz helped it.

I am a bit disappointed I am below the magic 260 MHz mark (and still slower than what I hoped to reach - 2.7 GHz), but still happy with still a relatively huge OC from the stock 2.0 GHz.

Thanks everyone who helped!

Thanks for updating us. Congratulations on getting all your issues sorted out.

Please edit your thread title to include the word 'RESOLVED" so other forum members can see the successful solution.

Thanks.

Not that I can add anything but to say I am having the same issues with lockups. not only with 3DMARK 05 but I can not even get through the tutorial in CIV 4. the advantage I have is my son and I have identical MOBO's and CPU's and mem only GPU's are different so I ran the 3dMARK 5 test on his. He had a EVGA 6800 256MB Ultra and it ran back to back times

I put my Video card in his puter and it locked up. RMA is on the way

Well, it could still be the video card for me - it's just too damn random. I am still having issues with running Prime + 3dmark03. The CPU and the memory is rock solid when just priming, so i should have probably guess it was the video. But the roblem is unlike u, i do nt have a 2nd pcie vid card.

I am glad you were able to solve your prob, and now i think you also gave me another possiblility.

I have been watching this thread keenly since I have very similar problems with my DFI Infinity SLI board. It fails both 3dmark05 and 3dmark06, freezing after the first test. I supposedly have a good cooling case and all reported temperatures are excellent. The system board temperature is typically at 37C and my water cooled cpu is at 23 C and rarely goes above 30 C. The GPU temperature ranges from 40 C at idle to 51 C or so during loading.

In my situation, however, I had access to an Geforce6800GT which is now on my case on my motherboard. It too fails both 3Dmarks. Both cards pass with flying colors in another box that has a terrible PSU with only 13A on the 12V rail. This PSU is supposed to have 34A on the 12V rail.

So my question is, should I RMA my DFI board? My memory has passed 12 hours of memtest86 and I"ve passed 12 hours of dual prime when overclocked, but now I am making no attempt to overclock it. I did have to up the memory voltage slightly. My next steps would be to swap out another PSU or to just give up on this board.

Is there anything else that is obvious that I should try? By the way I've tried all the drivers that are out there. I'm actually currently running forceware 81.98 and I have temporarily have a Geforce6800GT card installed.

I can only stop the 3dmark crashing if I seriously underclock my RAM down to the divider settings 0.7:1.0 or 143MHz. That makes my OCZ DDR 400 become DDR 300 RAM. Of course my 3dmark numbers suffer accordingly. Right now I'm assuming it's a RAM issue, even though it passed memtest86 for 11 hours or so. I need to try to understand this RAM timing nomenclature a little better too. I tried to relax my CAS setting from 2.5 to 3 and the result was that I was unable to post!

sometimes this OCing business doesn't make any sense, lol.

I tried to relax mem timings and it also results in hard locks, etc. Dunno why. Should be even more stable.

Anyways, an update:

No matter what I try, I cannot get dual prime and 3dmark03 to stay stable unless I lowered it to 2.5 GHz. Also, as a hunch, I figured at this speed, I probably have room to lower the voltage. I did. And now it is at 1.475v.

My entie system paints a new picture of itself from my first impression. I am disappointed at a mediocore OC, but not complaining much since it's still 500 Mhz over stock. however, my mem can do 275 Mhz, and I was hoping to capitolize on it.

I guess in 6 months, I can probably ebay the CPU and get a Toledo or Denmark.

EDIT: I think my next step is to try a lower multi - like 9x275