3DMark05 crashing at stock speed

mine is still crashing in games with the new ballistix. I'm using the default settings for it.

Its strange. the pc gives no indication of anythings wrong then bam, it freezes. I then have to do a hard reset. temps are fine and settings are at default.

it could be the motherboard.

Oh, for your issue, it may actually be the Ballistix. I read in the Recommended Memory thread that although it was highly recommended, lately they are failing after a couple months of use. You can either RMA them and hope for the best, or just use the G.SKILLs. In the end, I decided on the G.SKILLs HZ.

Of course, now that I am having issues, I am not one to give praise to anything yet. :)

I cross my fingers that the next Expert board will be a saint.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay - update -

3DMark05 has been running for about an hour now, which is much much MUCH longer than before. In fact, it's still going. Did I solve the issue? If so, what would it be?

My bet is on temperature. Cased up in a Super Lanparty case must be stuffy. And I just found out that the chipset is HOT HOT HOT! Hot to the touch, actually. maybe just changing the factory goop for Artic Silver Ceramiq worked? It was pretty hot before too, but I figured it was within acceptable range if DFI engineers designed it this way.

The only downfall to the layout is the chipset - just not in a good place for ventalation. If it was located by the memory/CPU, it would have recieved extra cooling of my large HSF (huh huh..... large...).

I wonder if I should continue the RMA? Well, I'll leave it overnight running 3DMark and see. But if it fixes it, I'd be faced with a problem - how to get cooling to the chipset.

Oh - also just found out about the Expert under-reporting the CPU temps. I am running at 47*C max according to the nVidia's monitor. So if what they say is true, then I'm probably in the 56*C mark!

However, the entire HSF (even near the base) is just barely warm - even when in the Lanboy case....

it seems as though i am talking to myself here now. :) I know i must be boring everyone here now with my updates.

I am leaving it running 3dmark05 and priming in the background overnight (yes, both to super stress it out). Before I retired, it was around an hour into the test and no signs of failure.

Anyone have issues of the chipset overheating?

Okay - update -

3DMark05 has been running for about an hour now, which is much much MUCH longer than before. In fact, it's still going. Did I solve the issue? If so, what would it be?

maybe just changing the factory goop for Artic Silver Ceramiq worked?

I think I will try this, a5 on chipset. my pc is pritty cool though and the memory is not even warm, even with 3volts through it.

we definatly have the same problem, so hopfully we can sort it out.

Alright, so you would be happy to hear that it is rock solid - just woke up, and found that it was priming and running 3dmark05 TOGETHER without a hiccup.

I turned it off to let it cool while I went to bruish my teeth and all that morning ritual jazz.... then went back to just 3DMark05 before I am leaving for work.

I still wonder how this whole setup is gonna run inside a Lanboy case...

I do have a question of the DFI techs - how many versions of Expert are there? I'm wondering because if there is a newer rev, I may just RMA it just for that. Maybe the new rev runs cooler.

Maybe they can send me a non-pre-gooped up chipset cooler, as the one I have I am not completely confident is as clean as it should. :)

good news naddie, well done. Hope i can sort mine.

I judst took off my chip cooler and cleaned the goop off mine and laped it to grit 1500. the HS was prity scratched before i laped it and had loads of goop on it. I have just finished putting it all together and its running, acording to mbm5

' 29-30 degrees c idel.

I'm going to run 3dmark05 now and see if it helped.

it didnt :(

I re-instaled the chipset drivers and the GC drivers. Thit did nothing.

I gave my chipset more volts and my LDT (1.3v) and it still freezes.

Going back to my G.Skill 1GB DDR FF PC4800 (2x512MB) Dual Channel Kit (F1-4800DSU-1GBFF) (MY-004-GS) to see if its the memory again.

p.s. i hope you dont mind me posting in your thread. I'ts just were having the same problems.

it didnt :(

I re-instaled the chipset drivers and the GC drivers. Thit did nothing.

I gave my chipset more volts and my LDT (1.3v) and it still freezes.

Going back to my G.Skill 1GB DDR FF PC4800 (2x512MB) Dual Channel Kit (F1-4800DSU-1GBFF) (MY-004-GS) to see if its the memory again.

p.s. i hope you dont mind me posting in your thread. I'ts just were having the same problems.

Not at all! Misery loves company. :)

Sorry it didn't work out for you though. As for running the PC without the sides on, I did that too BEFORE I took it out of the case - and it did nothing. I wonder if just the better TIM was all it needed.

BTW, your chipset is COLD! Mine idles at 40*C, and when operating, around 45*C! And this is AFTER the upgraded TIM. I dunno what it was running before because I found out about the MBM5 datafile for our mobos AFTER I took it out of the case. It's much more informative (but the fan speeds are not accurate - says my CPU fan is running at 10,000 RPMs to 20,000 RPMs - YIKES!). My CPU fan is actually spinning at a calm 1,200 RPM (per the BIOS - and my ears).

@Danger- BTW, are you still on stock speeds and voltages? Is it still in the case or out of the case now?

Try everything stock and out of the case. Also while you're in the lapping and re-TIMing mood, try to do that with your GFX card, too.

Now, for the DFI techs - is there a newer rev of the Expert board? If so, what's the difference?