Sign in to follow this  
naddie

3DMark05 crashing at stock speed

Tried single OCZ, did not work. Tried dual OCZ, did not work. Tried single G.SKILL, did not work. Tried dual G.SKILL, booted up.

Is this weird, or is this just me?

Begining to sound more like the motherboard.

I had the same issue a month ago. After trying different ram, video cards, hd's, psu's and cpu's, the only fix was to rma the motherboard. I reinstalled my SLI-DR and stability returned. I sold the Expert the second it came back from RMA and have never looked back.

Shawn

mine is still crashing in games with the new ballistix. I'm using the default settings for it.

Its strange. the pc gives no indication of anythings wrong then bam, it freezes. I then have to do a hard reset. temps are fine and settings are at default.

it could be the motherboard.

Updated to the latest. CO7 I beleive the file name is.

I'd hate to try to sell it - probably wont get what I paid for originally, which is BS because this is brand new, and I should be able to return it. Prohbelm is that I boguth it as a bundle with a Athlon 64 3000+ - that CPU is now being used on an ECS mobo - and it works great. :(

Yep - Monarch computers wont warrantee it or take it back if you seperated the combo. :( DFI is much better though - there are HUMANS who answers the phone in San Jose. :) Too bad either way, I'll have to take the board out.

I wonder if they want ALL the accessories back. I hope not, cuz that would mean I would also have to undo all of my cabling, which was hard to do in the first place. Try wiring all those drives in a Super Lanboy. -_-;

Well, Robert also emailed me, (rgone), and I just emailed them my info. I guess the RMA process just started. :) Thanks for the quick repsonse, btw, Robert - if you are reading this. :)

On the 6th try, I finally got WinXP installed, and installed all drivers - gonna do a quick 3DMark05 test (and that's all I'm gonna test for my sanity) on stock speeds and voltages before I take this board out and box it up. I am also waiting on the RMA #, so I don't feel like taking it apart until I get it.

I wll update you guys on this. I am NOT going to a different mobo (or at least I dont plan to). I am sticking with the Expert. At least for the forseeable near future.

Hey Naddie, good for you. Way to not give up! IMHO the Expert is a cutting edge board, and it's kind of like buying the first new car to roll of the assembly line. While the engineering and research are top notch, sometimes it takes a while to get all of the production kinks worked out! I'm sure that's the case with the Expert m/b. You are a brave soul, with tons of patience. I really admire you.

Alot of people would have said "screw DFI" or screw this "Expert" motherboard. In the end, when you have it alll straightened out I'm sure you'll be happy.

Good luck.

Even though I had the same problems and rma'd the board, then promptly sold it, I still really like DFI. I understand that buying the Expert as soon as it came out was a risk, that using the latest "cutting edge" stuff can lead to possible issues. I took a chance and lost. Usually i have great luck with this kind of thing. Not this time. The SLI-DR that I'm still using is the most stable board I've ever owned and it will be very difficult for me to ever give it up!

I'm not as patient as you are, I guess it is a sort of "character" flaw that I've always had. I also don't like being without my primary gaming rig for weeks at a time, just because it is unstable due to it being "cutting edge".

Shawn

Well the initial impression was very impressive - it was very easy to work with. I figure in the long run, all DFI Lanparty series are like this. But the reason why I like the Expert specificially is the layout of the board.

BTW, here's an interesting thing - after calling and emailing the RMA, the WIndows install went completely through. I installed the chipset drivers from 6.7. I did not use the installer - i just extracted it using WinRAR and installed it individualling via Device Manager. I even installed the video like that (using the latest on nVidia's site).

No nVidia software got installed except for the nVidia's gfx driver (which is so closely integrated with the driver, it IS the driver). No nMixer, no nTune, no nVidia firewall.

Okay - so the only application I installed is 3DMark 05 - and so far, after a couple of restarts, it still doesn't crash. It is looping now. It's going stronger than before. I'll leave it overnight until I get the RMA #.

This is very strange. I'd still RMA it just to be sure.

EDIT: Spoke too soon - it crashed. But it did last much longer than before.

EDIT: Got it out of my case - and now that I did, I took off the factory goop from the chipset and used Artic Silver Ceramiq - and running it outside of the box. LoL. I know by now, most of you would say "You're already RMA, why not quit now?"

I dunno... I guess I just wanna find out if all the lil things I do helped. :) When I get the new board, I will probably do the chipset goop upgrade before I put it in the case.