3DMark05 crashing at stock speed

I found out that while I can pass one session of tests in 3DMark05, if I try to start another one, it would crash. This is stock speeds.

I originally found this out while it was OCed to 262 Mhz (2.62GHz), but backed it down to stock (200 Mhz, 2.0GHz) just to ensure that it was not the OC that was doing it.

Memtests passed 9:30 hrs, Prime95 passed 9:30hrs (start it at night, check it in the morning before I go to work). I wonder if it is my video card now...

Anyone having similar issues? My setup is in my sig. My vid card is specifically the eVGA 7800 GT CO (model 517). Factory OC 470 Mhz core, 1100 MHz memory. Besides the factory OC, I did not overclock the video one bit.

I also tried to disable memory interleve, and same results. When OCed and enabled, it would crash on the first run. When OCed and disabled, I can run a test once, and the 2nd time, it would crash.

I have not started playing games on it yet, as my c omputer is still a Work in Progress (as you can tell).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately that is the only PCIe card I have, and no one I know has a PCIe card either. When I first built the machine, I had to borrow an old S3 PCI video card (4MB, woot!) just to install everything (I was impatient, lol). Then when the video card came, I installed it. :)

Don't worry about the above story - it's just that - a story to tell. I only used that setup to install Windows to OC and check for stability issues before my PCIe video card arrived. After it arrived, I popped it in and reformated the HD and reinstalled WinXP.

I just finished reading your thread about Prime95, and now I feel I am in your position, but not as dire, since my Prime and Memtests passes with flying colors. The fact that 3DMark05 is crashing makes me worried about playing real games on that machine until it is resolved.

Just in case, I am running memtest right now, and will download and try out 3DMark 2001 and 2003 tomorow.

thanks for the quick reply, btw.

The best thing you could do is take your PC to a "RELIABLE" (as in not a big box store but a local shop with a good reputation) and pay them to test it out with another video card, really they should only charge you a minimum bench fee for that, for eg. I charge $30 CAD for diagnostics and simple testing like you have there.

or get yourself a cheapo ATI X300 or somthin like that, nice and cheap, and it never hurts to have a spare Vid card around if yer a DIY'er

best o' luck to ya

I'll try the 2001/2003 versions first. Then I will find a way to secure another decent PCIe 3D video card (hopefully another GeForce so i don't have to reinstall the drivers).

It would be an insult to take my PC somewhere - cuz I'm a techie myself. :) but as a techie, I know that there are well known issues with ANY hardware and hardware combos, so I thought I might air it out here and see if there are any other suggestions other than I tried.

eVGA has a lifetime warrantee, so I'm not too worried if I have to RMA.

Don't feel insaulted bro - I never would have sorted my problem out without a store full of "spare" parts to troubleshoot with :)

btw . prime on stock voltage for almost 2 hours now yay 4 me :)

good luck m8

I understand. I work as a tech-on-the-go, so I have lots of spare parts. Unfortunately, because the move to PCIe was relatively recent (and I have yet to encounter a mainstream PC in use right now that has PCIe video card), I do not have any PCIe parts at all in stock.

At my full time work place, we have Dells that have PCIe slots, but they are not occupied by any video cards, since they use an integrated solutions from Intel.

I ran 2001, and it works fine - I should have left it looping though, seeing how it probably doesn't really stress the GPU as much as say 2005. I will do that when I get back home from work. And 2003 was being downloaded last I checked, so that will get installed when I get back as well.

Haven't checked, but I wonder if the PCIe slot can turn up the voltage a bit like AGP can. I may try that if that option is available before I excercise the "get another PCIe videocard" method. :)

his post above states he used an S3 pci card and i doubt it needed any drivers.

That would be correct, and one of the reasons I chose an older PCI card to start the build up before my PCIe card came.

So far, looped tests of 2001 and 2003 are running great all day. I am doing 2005 right now.

I noticed that I still had http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/editpost.p...ost&p=35089650% CPU Throttling enabled, so I disabled it. I wonder if that is what caused the issue. I also re-downloaded 2005 just to make sure it's not the copy of 2005 itself.

So far, It's running okay... but I haven't done a 2nd pass yet ( I am updating you guys live).

On a side note, at 1024x768, 4x anti-ailising and anistropic filtering produced a score of 6583.