NO Boot--4 LEDs

I cleaned out my system with a couple of Duster Cans and added a Maxtor 200GB SATA HDD. Now when I start the computer nothing happens. All fans are spinning and I can feel the HDD vibrate so I know it should work but I get a blank screen on the monitor and I get 4 leds. I have removed everything except for KB&Mouse, Vid, and 1 stick of 512 PC2700 mem. and still nothing.

Anyone know of any tricks other then to kick this thing out the window, please share it with me!

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the insert key trick, I think? I just tapped it while the system was booting. But it didnt work either

I also noticed the the LEDS dont light up inorder they just turn on.

Right now I have the power, 4 pin, 20 pin, and the battery out. and I have the jumper switched over.

I have had it for going for about 20 mins now.

I will try it again before I go to sleep. Ill post an update then

Thanks

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Update

Well I did it and nothing! So I am going to let it go thru the night, hopefully that will work! Does anyone got some more ideas? or maybe what could have caused it? THanks

You could try unplugging everything but what you need to boot and access the BIOS

(just a keyboard, monitor, VC, RAM, of course the CPU). Then unplug your PSU, pull

the CMOS battery, and also pull out the BIOS chip (careful if you do that and make

sure you know what you're doing, if not then skip pulling out the BIOS chip). Then

reset all as needed and see if you can boot.

I just was messing around recently, and found that I was unable to boot. So I got

out my extra BIOS chips and was going to swap them and do some hot flashing, but

instead of going to a straight swap of the chips to one that was bootable, I merely

pulled out the non-booting chip (for about a minute) then put it back in and bingo!

My rig came back up without needing to swap chips and reflash. So, that might work

for you also. As mentioned above, though, just be ultra careful if you're going to try

pulling out the BIOS chip, as the chip socket, MB and the chip itself can easily get

damaged.

Best to you,

median

Just a quick question. I know that I would be able remove the chip on my own without breaking it. I am just curious if there is some documentation that I can look at on how to do it before I do it.

Thanks

Unsure about documentation.

Do you live in the US, or possibly have access to an electronics store that would carry

the type of tool needed to pull out PLCC chips. I bought one of those tools from Radio

Shack (US, unsure if they have stores elsewhere). Just in case you can get to a Radio

Shack store, or you might be able to order one online, or you may be able to locate a

similar type somewhere else.

Here's the description and part number - Square IC PLCC Extraction Tool, 276-2101.

Product Link - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...ctId=2062619&cp

Anouther thing: When ya' put it back in be sure you put it back the way it came out. I've seen poeple put em' back upside down. Also sometimes a stick of pc2100 will sometime's get it to boot w/4 leds of dead. Sometimes a 22hr cmos clear will do it.(Sometimes it won't though) I've done other stuff that has made some older mechine's fire. But since I've never seen anyone recomend them here I'll keep me trap shut. LOL.

Hopefully just pulling the BIOS chip and reinserting it will do the trick.

If not, you could just order another BIOS chip that's pre-flashed and

use it to boot and do a hot-flash of your current chip. That way you'd

have a spare when/if needed later on, which is real nice if you mess

around with different settings, OCing and etc. Even if you don't do

much of that a spare is a great idea.

I just have extra chips myself, but some have a BIOS Savior for back

up needs, or even an extra BIOS chip(s) also. Although, with a BIOS

Savior you might need to have a functioning BIOS chips first.

• 2 months later...