A real newbie question

jskudera

I've got the printout of the sticky with the overclocking pdf on it. I'm at the part where I begin changing my bios settings -- all those are changed, but a couple things.

CPU VID Control suggests the voltage to use. I have an Opteron 148 939 CPU, not sure where this falls in line to. I don't see any options in my BIOS to raise the voltage to over 1.5 (maybe I'm in the wrong area?). Also, I'm kind of lost where it tells me to raise the HTT/FSB in 10-15MHz increments. I do not see anything in BIOS that will allow me to do increments like that.

Yes, I'm an overclocking newbie, but please help =]

Okay, well I found out where to change the HTT/FSB (I just overlooked it) but do you think the max voltage I can do is 1.5v? right now it's at 1.360 running 210.1 x 11.0 for 2310.7mhz - running Super PI 32M. CPU is running at 46C -- can get it down to about 42C with the side of the case open. I only have an 80mm case fan in the back. Think if I upgrade to 120mm it'll improve it with the case closed? I don't really care about the noise, I just want a good fan that will help reduce my temp. I was told 50C and above is getting too warm for these CPUs

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...431&postcount=2

This shows pics of the Genie Bios section you should be in to change voltages.

The nominal CPU VID on the 148 opties is 1.3-1.4v. Your system may be in Auto. You will have to select it and the optional voltages will show.

The CPU VID Special Control allows you to select a % additional to the base cpu voltage you select in the CPU VID ie 1.35v CPU VID with a 110% CPU VID Special would be 1.35v x 110% ergo 1.485v. It would be helpful to know what stepping your Opteron is. Those are the letters and numbers marking the processor IHS.

You ought to try running nominal or with just a slight bit additional voltage to get your feet wet first and see what temps you get. These opties seem to do pretty good with default volts for a ways. Maybe 1.3v 110% or 1.325v 110% for 1.4575 and see how your temps are. My 148 ran 2750 at 1.4v w/o a problem.

To change your HTT/FSB it is the 2nd item in the Genie Bios FSB Bus Frequency. If your going to test your proc speed as the OC Guide notes drop your ram speed by selecting a ratio in the DRAM section DRAM Frequncy Set

OK. I changed my voltage to 1.55 + 104% which should give me about 1.612. Before I had the voltage at its default (1.360) and when I upped the FSB/HTT from 210 to 220 I couldn't get into XP and my BIOS reset itself. With more voltage should I see better results trying to up my HTT/FSB?

EDIT: reading from CPU-Z, my voltage is only 1.552 - I read some forums about different voltage readins. Best to go by BIOS?

And it's a CAB2E 148. I don't have all the other numbers, but does CPU-Z show that? If it does, if you can tell me how to post screenshots, I'll be more than happy to post them for some additional clarification.

I think you are a bit aggresive on the voltage starting out especially with air cooling albeit a decent solution (Zalman). You shouldn't need that kind of voltage to get a moderate overclock. May not even need to bump the volts to run 2300 even more. You should test how far you can go with very minimal volt increase first. Temps will rise along with the frequency even without raising the voltage.

Have you checked out the ram fully using memtest per the guide? Or are you running a divider right now?

Super Pi 32M will stress the system a little but Prime 95 Large FFT will generate max heat on the processor. I'd drop the voltage down and try that and see where the temps are.

I had my volts running at default and raising it to 215 x 11.0 did not work. Right now my volts are at 1.392 I'll try and move it up to 215 again see what happens. I also ran memtest86 with no problems on my memory. right now @ 213 x 11.0 at 1.4v. getting there...

Seems like I can only get Windows to start at 210 x 11 1.4 * 104% - Anything above 210 no matter what kind of voltage I set doesnt record to CMOS and my computer crashes. Any suggestions?

I've read a bit with peeps having some issues with Corsair ram. You will need to do some homework and tweaking to get them dialed in first. Likely having ram issues not cpu voltage issues.

What bios are you on?