RMA'd Ultra-D - No more 2-2-2-5! What's wrong?

Set your bios Dram settings to default / Auto. Tweaking your bios settings to push your ram faster can cause it to fail memtest86. Even if your ram is rated for those speeds I've seen Ballistix ram that running 2-2-2-6 @ 2.8v like its supposed to fials. On Default/Auto running 2-3-3-8 @ 2.6 V it passed. Not every batch of ram from the same maker is the same.

Even if the ram is running slower. It should still pass memtest86.

If it gets any errors RMA it.

Chances are you have a matched pair so even if you test 1 stick then the other and only 1 is bad , RMA them both , so you get a new matched pair.

Allot of the ram makers will hand pick their test candidates that they send to the hardware review sites like tomshardware, anandtech etc. Why? Because you can buy 2 diff sticks of ram from the same company at diff times from diff batches and they can and will perform differently.

I recently RMA'd 1G (512X2) of PC3200 Ballistix. One stick was failing memtest all over the place, the other would fail at 2-2-2-6 some times and pass at 2-3-3-8 every time.

I replaced it with some OCZ 2-3-2-5

Set your bios Dram settings to default / Auto. Tweaking your bios settings to push your ram faster can cause it to fail memtest86. Even if your ram is rated for those speeds I've seen Ballistix ram that running 2-2-2-6 @ 2.8v like its supposed to fials. On Default/Auto running 2-3-3-8 @ 2.6 V it passed. Not every batch of ram from the same maker is the same.

Even if the ram is running slower. It should still pass memtest86.

If it gets any errors RMA it.

Chances are you have a matched pair so even if you test 1 stick then the other and only 1 is bad , RMA them both , so you get a new matched pair.

Allot of the ram makers will hand pick their test candidates that they send to the hardware review sites like tomshardware, anandtech etc. Why? Because you can buy 2 diff sticks of ram from the same company at diff times from diff batches and they can and will perform differently.

I recently RMA'd 1G (512X2) of PC3200 Ballistix. One stick was failing memtest all over the place, the other would fail at 2-2-2-6 some times and pass at 2-3-3-8 every time.

I replaced it with some OCZ 2-3-2-5

The problem is: With the other RMA'd Ultra-D these modules were 100% rockstable with 200Mhz 2-2-2-5 and they've done 263Mhz 2-2-2-5 @ 3,4V with ease. But with the new Ultra-D i can't get them stable @ 2-2-2-5, you know what I mean?

@ all: I'll look for the rev. in a moment...

E: Fact is: AA0 was the old one...

The problem is: With the other RMA'd Ultra-D these modules were 100% rockstable with 200Mhz 2-2-2-5 and they've done 263Mhz 2-2-2-5 @ 3,4V with ease. But with the new Ultra-D i can't get them stable @ 2-2-2-5, you know what I mean?

@ all: I'll look for the rev. in a moment...

E: Fact is: AA0 was the old one...

I don't get it how are you saying its stable when you said it kept on crashing?.........

I don't get it how are you saying its stable when you said it kept on crashing?.........
Yup thts confusing me also

The old one crashed after every Win install and i lost all data on the HDDs (tried 5 different)
ABYENS,

This statement you made here would suggest tht your ram was NOT stable at the settings you say it was stable at. How did you know tht the ram was stable at 260mhz 2-2-2-5? From your description I would aggress with others tht the ram is the cause of your problems, not the motherboard.

There is no way you can run that memory or any memory for that matter at 2-2-2-5@260Mhz. I just don't think it is possible. Memory, that you can buy, just isn't that good.

Maybe I'm wrong. Is there anyone that has DDR520 running 2-2-2-5 timings? If so, I want that memory!

@ABYENS

I'm having some trouble understanding your logic in this matter.

From what I understand, you RMA'd the previous board because your OS was crashing.

You got a replacement board and don't understand why the same settings are not working.

It's quite possible that even though the previous board "worked" at those settings, the current board is failing at those settings because they don't work.

Even if you were able to pass memtest with those settings on the previous board, there was some instability involved resulting in the OS crashes.

I would forget about the old settings and start from scratch. There's really no reason to expect two different motherboards to perform exactly the same.