Sign in to follow this  
rgdiz

What's wrong.........

Well, it looks like I did something wrong again. I ran memtest from the bios on the nF4 box in my sig and after I cooled it properly it passed 5+ hours. I then decided to try to speed up my memory timings a little and changed 3 4 4 8 to 2.5 3 3 7 which caused my machine to reboot twice without loading the OS. I then changed the timings back to 3 4 4 8 1T and tried to boot but I got an error message that files were corrupt so on the advice of a DFI forum reader I cleared the bios, set it up again and corrected the problem.

I tried to run memtest from within windows (2 instances, 848mb each), but 1 instance failed after 104%. I then tried Prime95 (2 instances, affinity 0 and affinity 1) but 1 instance received a fatal error within a minute. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong, my settings are: 3448 1T, 3120 tref, others are default, FSB 250, dram 200 01/01. Any thoughts on what I might do to clear this up?

Thanks

Note: Also posted at XtremeSystems in G.Skill

thats whats wrong. you have to tune them defalts and auto setting if your going to overclock.overclocking is not a plug and play

Which pc4000 are they?

Gskill PC4000 F1-32005SU2-512LA/1GBLA TCCD

Gskill PC4000 F1-32005SU2-512LB/1GBLB TCC5

Gskill PC4000 F1-4000PHU2-512LA /1GBLA D43/D5

If ithey're either of the first 2, there's something wrong, unless its your CPU

DublinGunner: GSkill PC 4000 F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ

msmolt: I am just trying to get the ram to speed and I've read numerous posts stating defaults were being run. I will be reviewing the OC recommendations and try to get it to run clean, but I had to start somewhere.

boatasiaus: VID is set to auto/default, VID special is VID +10%

Thanks to all for your replies.

Go to the NF4 Data base and find a system close to yours and start with there settings i guess or read and learn This

Posted to XtremeSystems G.Skill forum:

G.S Technician: hummm i have no idea what happened....

just try some setting i posted in HZ thread or copy other members timing!

So I looked and figured I'd try to work with what was being used (nothing in thread is for x2 4400) so I tried 3 4 4 10, FSB 250, DRAM 200 01/01, LDT 3, 3120, VID 1.425 and +113%, 2.6v on memory, other settings auto/default and I got memtest+ errors on test 5 at pass 69 and 169 so I halted the test and changed LDT volt to 1.3 and memory volt to 2.7 and went to 3 4 4 8. I tested all day with no problems and after 11 and a half hours at pass 313 I figured I'd shut down soon as it must be good. On pass 314 I got 2 errors at 2 different memory addresses. Which pissed me off, don't ya' know. So in disgust I let it run all night and it is running right now, hasn't had any other errors, I'm at pass 597. I'm going to let it run at least until pass 629 (2x314+1), but I don't know where to go from here. I mean, I'm not even really overclocking, I'm just trying to use the memory at it's rated speed.

BTW: FSB 250 x 10 not 11

Try a little more voltage, say 2.8 I know they are rated for 2.6, but depending on your systems specs, the ram just might not be getting exactly what it wants.

Its fine up to around 3v anyway, and you should be able to OC the sticks quite nicely too

I'm aircooled and worried about heat down here in sunny Florida as my ambient temp is usually 26c (79f), but I'll give it a shot and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Well now I've gotten it to run memtest from the BIOS for hours w/o error, prime95 appears to run w/o error, but Windows memtest fails at different addresses within the first 100%, so any ideas?

Many thanks for all the replies - all help is appreciated.

This was also posted to the overclocking forum:

I ran the cpu/ram tests recommended by Angry and Rgone, and determined that my processor tops out at FSB 245 multi 11, and my ram tops out at FSB 250 (3 4 4 8 1t). These settings were with mostly defaults selected, 14.25v on cpu, cpu special +110%. I could probably get more out of them but I am aircooled and have had my cpu go to 60+ a couple of times testing. I hope the temps improve with a new cooler (Freezer 64) and the addition of Artic Silver.

Anyway, all I wanted was to run at FSB 250 x 10 or so, and I can get there now with FSB 237 x 11 = 2607, which is not spectacular, but not real shabby either. If I decide I want more I guess I'll have to go with a water cooling system, which might not be a bad idea since my computer room is normally about 80f degrees.