Cable Versus Phone Line

TOMVOO

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on shaw cable the speeds are 10MB/sec down 1Mb/sec up. $ 45 a month, not bad service either. Free tech, and free home visits. Although the network has been a little erratic the last month, still a good deal. :)

HEre at my dads place i got Telus adsl and never get a dl below 300kb/s, at my mothers shes got Shaw Cable and i usually at 200kb/s, but oncei dled a patch for Motocross Madness 2 from www.microsoft.com and i got 1200kb/s maxed. I was like what the heck cause i dled a 30mb or so file in like 25 seconds....

Whatever i like my ADSL i have lower pings in games and its never gone down in the 3 years we have had it.

Cable goes down once a month for god sakes...

I use to top out at 600-800Kbps on my cable modem if I maxed out my download threads. Other people in the same city could never get those speeds, usually getting 250 or so. I get 250 on my DSL line but I switched due to better latency and ping rates. (Shaw vs Telus)

I use Shaw Cable too. I usually get in the range of 400kbps, but right now, at 1:13am, the service is REALLY fast. I get around 700-950kbps. And Upstream I can get around 300kbps. So, Cable is way better than DSL for the time being.

Been searching the web a bit on DSL, here is some different kinds of DSL and their speeds just thought you would like to see, the info came form here

ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line): 1.5Mbps/64Kbps-384Kbps upstream

IDSL (Integrated Digital Subscriber Line): 144Kbps/144Kbps upstream

SDSL (Single-line Digital Subscriber Line): 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps upstream

HDSL (High-bitrate Digital Subscriber Line): 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps upstream

IDSL (Integrated Digital Subscriber Line): 144Kbps/144Kbps upstream

VDSL (Very high-bitrate Digital Subscriber Line): 13Mbps- 52Mbps/1.5Mbps-2.3Mbps upstream

RDSL (Rate Adaptive Digital Subscriber Line): various speeds

In my research it look like VDSL was not intended just for internet, but for the telephone company to provide cable-TV, phone service, and internet over ordinary telephone lines.

am on shaw cable the speeds are 10MB/sec down 1Mb/sec up. $ 45 a month, not bad service either. Free tech, and free home visits. Although the network has been a little erratic the last month, still a good deal. 

WHHHAAATTTTT!!!!!! :O

I pay

Well I dunno' about you'll but I prefer to have my telephone + internet packaged together ;) (one bill :P) plus I get 100 free local calls per month, all for less than the mere line rental of our biggest carrier Telecom :)

Additionally, last year when our ISP had server problems for a week or so, they wiped our bill (including all calls... local/STD)

So if cable was available I probally prefer ADSL (with my same carrier)...

As far as E-mail difficulties, as someeone already stated... have you checked your OE settings, or reinstalled it? I get hiccups occasionally with the OS changing my preset server details :huh: so I have to manually reset all of them... Mail-Zilla is looking more appealing everyday LOL