Sign in to follow this  
black_dought

Zalman Cnps9500

Man, I have been debating about water cooling or air cooling for quite a long time. At least for now I have decided to go with CPU air cooling. I plan to purchase the ZALMAN CNPS9500. I have been doing research about this product and came across one problem that concerned my MOBO, the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D. The user stated that he was unable to use the fan controller.

"Cons: fan controller didnt work on my DFI ultra-d,

put the fan controller on it, started up for 2 seconds then fan stopped working" - kon

Basically I would like to know if this was a problem of his own doing or it really is not compatible with my mobo. Today newegg is letting this bad boy go for $67 bux no shipping charges. I would like to know if this would be wasted money or potentially good, moreover are there better air coolers out there now. "no heat sinks"

The SI120 with a high RPM panaflo connected to a fan controller would be much better.

Tell him to make sure in the motherboard the CPU fan is set to be at 100% at all times. At worst he'd have to plug the fan controller into a 3 pin ---> 4 pin PSU molex connector converter. This way, less load on the motherboard, and he gets the control he wanted.

The Zalman is excellent. I believe your case has a rear exhaust fan that aligns well with the HSF. I don't use the fan controller on my Expert board. The board itself sets the fan speed as needed.

Saying the SI120 is "much better" isn't true. I tried both & my case/HSF combo beat the SI120's performance. The Zalman is designed to use the rear case fan & it does so quite efficiently. Again it relies on the position of the rear fan. The Zalman also sweeps away the heat over the memory slots on the expert board.

Saying the SI120 is "much better" isn't true. I tried both & my case/HSF combo beat the SI120's performance.
It depends on the fan selected for the SI-120, a 120mm, 220CFM, Delta will certainly beat the Z. :nod:

Not sure I understand what your saying here. Also are the other fans you listed from Zalman or other makers?
I was just pointing out that by selecting a appropiate fan,

the Thermalright SI-120 is capable of any level of performance. ;)

The 220CFM Delta would be way too loud for most people, including me.

It was easy to install if you are carefull, and it keeps my X2 3800+ OC'd to 2600mhz @ 1.40v under 44c full Dual Prime. The fan is so quiet why would you need to use the fan controller, just plug it into the mb, run it at 100% and your good to go. :nod:

It depends on the fan selected for the SI-120, a 120mm, 220CFM, Delta will certainly beat the Z. :nod:

Not in a case with the rear exhaust fan aligned with the Zalman. And I understand 220 cfm is above & beyond most fans. The Zalman relies on the case fan alot (& a 120mm rear fan is ideal, my Lian Li uses a 90mm & it works super). It was probably designed with this in mind.

Not in a case with the rear exhaust fan aligned with the Zalman. And I understand 220 cfm is above & beyond most fans. The Zalman relies on the case fan alot (& a 120mm rear fan is ideal, my Lian Li uses a 90mm & it works super). It was probably designed with this in mind.
This is silly, as no one is going to use a 220CFM fan, but trust me,

the SI-120 or XP-120 with that fan would beat any air cooling solution, given good case cooling. :nod:

Given my case and the SI-120, doesnt this cause issues with the slots near by? Also what are the precautions and how to avoid them when installing the 9500?

Guest Crusader

The weight distribution on the Zalman 9500 is really not that good so if you plan on moving your rig a lot or taking it to lanparties you must be extra careful.

Personally I think the last couple of Zalman's are overrated anyway, but yeah they are easy to install - that's a definite plus.

Sign in to follow this