Sign in to follow this  
szurlo

Safe Mode only after trcd adjust

Well, I have been running optimized defaults since I built this rig, which gave me 2-3-2-5 timings. Finally decied to change it to 2-2-2-5. Here is the sequence of events EXACTLY.
Shutdown>Retart
Enter CMOS.
Change trcd to 2
Change it to run memtest
Save and reboot.
Run memtest through 2 complete test cycles error free.
ESC and reboot.
Enter CMOS and turn off memtest.
ESC and reboot.
Windows gets blue bar moving and after about 5 seconds all HDD activity stops and it stays in that state indefinatley.
Hit reset button.
Same boot result.
Hit reset button.
Enter windows safe mode. Works fine. No errors.
Shutdown>Restart.
Enter CMOS, change Genie BIOS page back to optimized defaults.
Save and reboot.
Boot hangs in same spot.

So this is where I am now. CMOS is back to previous settings and Windows will only boot in safe mode.

:(

Well, I have since determined that the hang is being caused by my new MX1000 mouse.
No idea why, but all of the sudden Windows will not boot if the mouse is connected to the USB port when Windows starts. I can plug it in after Windows loads and it works fine. Gonna try reinstallingf drivers. Not sure why messing with RAM timings would have triggered this unless it's just a huge coincidence.

[quote name='szurlo']Well, I have since determined that the hang is being caused by my new MX1000 mouse.
No idea why, but all of the sudden Windows will not boot if the mouse is connected to the USB port when Windows starts. I can plug it in after Windows loads and it works fine. Gonna try reinstallingf drivers. Not sure why messing with RAM timings would have triggered this unless it's just a huge coincidence.[/quote]
Maybe the mouse driver got corrupt when u used more aggressive timings, just a thought...

[quote name='mongoled']Maybe the mouse driver got corrupt when u used more aggressive timings, just a thought...[/quote]

Wish it were that simple.
Current state of the issue is this:
Windows boots fine with the MX1000 connected if I uninstall the Logitech driver, remove the mouse from Device Manager, reboot with no mouse and then plug the mouse in and let it install generic drivers.
Once in this state it will boot with the mouse connected every time. As soon as I install the Logitech driver, however, it will hang on boot if the mouse is connected.

Resolved.

Disabled both the onboard serial port and the IRDA port. Windows now boots with Logitech driver installed. No idea why, and not going to troubleshoot further. Already have a 2 port serial card coming anyway so on-board com port was going to be disabled as soon as I installed the card anyway.