Stock Instability...

Hi.. I know I must seem like a whining newb but I've been having a lot of issues with this board.. and as a financially challenged student who sunk a lot of money into this system it really gets to me =/.

Problem: Initial Boot

I am having a hell of a time booting up. "Optimized Settings" are loaded in the BIOS. Out of every 10 times I turn on/reboot the machine it hangs at:

a) Splash screen.

B) No screen, 2 diagnostic lights (fan whirring like nuts).

c) Reboots right after splash screen to either a, b, or c.

When I do finally boot up things seem to go alright for awhile. But once or twice a day I will get a random BSOD that flash by too quick for me to read. One was something about IRQL but I can't be sure.

All the hardware except the storage devices (2xDVDROM, 2xIDE HDD, 2xSATA HDD) is brand new. The storage devices did seem to work fine in my old system (MSI K7N2 Delta w/ AMD Athlon 2500 XP).

Could really use some helpful advice.. I'm getting depressed since this new system was such a large investment for me =/.

-w

You have BIOS 623-3.

You have 2 X 1024 OCZ.

Your OS is on IDE Master the 80 GB drive.

You have flashed a new BIOS 623-3 and cleared CMOS and set BIOS settings.

Temps are very good.

You are on Default settings in BIOS.

We are going to have to get off the optimized settings and get you stable.

Let's see, you have the OCZ GX series 2 Gigabyte kit of PC4000.

You might want to do a quick Clear CMOS to start and then enter BIOS and set up.

DRAM settings.

That would use 1/01-1T(enable)-3-3-8-3-12-16-3-2-2-3-AUTO or default settings for rest.

These are not permanent so you should tweak after you have achieved stability.

Good luck and we are here.

Well one of my hdd's is definitely screwed (funny how I rma'd a hdd and got this one 6 months ago.. bah).

My memory fails a mem test.. after about 3 hours it had about 63 errors near the top registers 0x0F... range. So I gotta return that.

On top of that I think my video card might be a little funky since my system hangs at two diagnostic lights 1 out of 3 times I reboot. (but operates fine once it's up and running)..

God, when it rains it pours huh?

Sean

If you have left DRAM voltage stock, try increasing it by 0.1v, then Rerun Memtest

Also, at least in the past, Ultra X-Connect modular PSU's have been questionable. You have a lot of "stuff" in that rig, and the PSU may not be able to keep up.

Does the PSU have a native 24 pin motherboard connector, or are you using a 20=>24 pin adapter?

I'll try upping the voltage on the RAM and rerunning the mem test for awhile.

I'm using a 20 to 24 pin adapter for the mobo.. this is a problem?

Rail voltages appear stable, according to my cheap multimeter anyway.

What about the two diagnostic light boot problem... what could that mean, is it video related?

I don't have the fdd power connection in, but it doesn't make a difference.. Since I don't have sli.

Did a memtest on a higher voltage, got even more errors.

What does a hang at two diagnostic lights mean? This is my most common boot problem.

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

looks like it can't find your video card, tried another yet?