Customize BIOS boot Logo

First of all, yes I've searched on this, and yes I've read the threads about it.

So, I got the cbrom.exe program, and the latest version of BIOS for my motherboard, the NF4-DAGF. I customized a BMP file (256-color) of the size 640x480. I then ran cbrom using the following parameter string:

cbrom CK84DA19.BIN /logo logo.bmp

The program gave me the success message I expected. So I updated my floppy with the new BIN file and flashed the BIOS using the floppy with the awdflash utility.

The result was a hosed-BIOS. The full-screen logo was mostly unrecognizable, and then POST complained of a bad CMOS checksum.

I did a panic full withdrawal, and using my floppy with the untouched BIOS BIN from DFI, I was able to reflash the BIOS to the default version, since the mobo was able to recover from the errors enough to run the program. Once reflashed to the normal BIOS, my computer has returned to normal, no worries. Although, I did have quite a scare there for a moment.

So, the question remains, what went wrong? Customization is fun, and I would like to have my personal logo when I boot up, but of course it is not worth sacrificing the stability of my machine. Am I treading unknown ground here, or was there a simple newbie mistake I was making?

Any help will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thespin

I believe the new RDX200 board has this feature incorporated i.e. you can easily replace the boot screen logo image ...

Can't you change a registry entry to change bootup screen?
registry? ... as in.. in windows? LMAO!!

edit: whoo, finally stopped laughing. ok, you can toy with and try to change the logo on the BIOS as much as you wish. you're not going to harm the chip.

While messing with a boot logo will not harm the chip if not done properly it may corrupt the bios and then you have a no boot.

Regarding the first post I don't know what went wrong but I have done the boot logo swap several time before with no issues so maybe your bmp is the wrong size.

Tmod

Maybe I'll try some more, then. I know people have been successful with this, but I don't know if anyone with my motherboard, the nF4-DAGF, has been successful. Of course, I don't know the extent of the differences between the BIOS's of the DAGF and the LanParty.

Am I correct in understanding that even if I install a corrupt BIOS made from the cbrom utility, that I should be able to boot from floppy and recover with a default BIOS?

Edit: I just don't/didn't know how the cbrom utility operates enough to know that it is totally safe to use or not.

Am I correct in understanding that even if I install a corrupt BIOS made from the cbrom utility, that I should be able to boot from floppy and recover with a default BIOS?

That would be a false assumption as the Bootblock may or may not be accessible.

When using Cbrom it is difficult at best to know if the bios is corrupted as you can still replace or change modules on a bad bin file.

Tmod

Did you use encoding when saving the bmp file?

ie RLE or RAW format BMP file?

I just made a test image in Paint. I saved it as a 16 color bitmap.

That would be a false assumption as the Bootblock may or may not be accessible.

When using Cbrom it is difficult at best to know if the bios is corrupted as you can still replace or change modules on a bad bin file.

I'll probably not try anymore then, if cbrom can potentially produce a BIOS BIN that'll 'break' my system.