Sign in to follow this  
Velvet45

DVD burner hosing boot w/ IDE driver- Help!

My BenQ DVD DW1620 is causing windows to fail to boot due to early firmware release and conflict with nVidia IDE driver. I would just uninstall the nvidia IDE driver but I am using it to control my RAID 0 array so I am afraid to uninstall it. Will the windows generic IDE driver still be able to control the boot drive Raid array (I dont think so)?

If so, I could reattach the drive and boot windows and update firmware-right? Rolling back driver selectively might work but all IDE drivers have same # (5.18 -nVidia ver. 6.53) so I am not sure I can just roll back ATAPI IDE drivers and not the Raidclass IDE driver at same time- confused? I know I am!

I don't really know how to update firmware for the DVD- which application to use just to update firmware to compatible? I believe it is OEM burner and could get firmware version with Nero CD speed but cant boot windows with drive connected to examine it!

This is getting pretty damn complicated. Perhaps the best thing would be to just put the drive in another non-raid machine and update fw from there??

Thanks for reading.

I can tell you first hand that the Windows drivers won't work for the Nvida RAID. When I was installing XP using the new 6.70 drivers, I had the problem where XP throws out the RAID driver because it is non signed, and would put its own in. It would get through the whole OS install and upon reboot would not be able to load OS. Contrary to popular belief, I didn't have to make a boot CD with a slipstreamed OS, my fix was to use the 6.53 drivers, and then from windows I updated to the 6.70 drivers. So if you are still using the 6.53 drivers, you can download the newer ones and load them in windows. I would suggest you try this. You might have to unplug the drive to get into windows without a crash, install drivers, and then hook drive back up. Hope this helps, Schmunk

Just rollback if Ms ide drivers were previously installed. Otherwise check off Don't search. I will choose the driver to install. Highlight Standard Dual Channel PCI Ide Controller and hit next. It will not affect your array. The ide driver got nuthin to do with raid.

As far as updating the firmware on the BenQ, poke around the forums on cdfreaks.com, all the info is there and it's pretty easy. There's also something there to up the ripping speed.

-pickles

I am currently using the nvidia sata raid, a 300 GB HD on Primary PATA, and my NEC 3550A DVD recorder on Secondary PATA (both masters). Should I uninstall the SW IDE as well?

I am currently using the nvidia sata raid, a 300 GB HD on Primary PATA, and my NEC 3550A DVD recorder on Secondary PATA (both masters). Should I uninstall the SW IDE as well?

not if everything is working just fine for you

for some it works

for others it does not

you remember the old saying?

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

AG,

are saying that even though I needed to install the Nvidia IDE/ Raid drivers to load windows on Raid 0, I can safely uninstall them and not affect the operation of the array?

In the control panel, remove programs for Nvidia drivers I am given the option (ver 6.70) to remove all or any of the following drivers (media shield, Ethernet, and nforce PCI systems manager). I am supposed to remove all of them and then reinstall and leave out the SW IDE driver correct?

I am definately sounding like a noob here and appreciate the advice!

I can safely uninstall them and not affect the operation of the array?

yeah

I can run RAID-0 and RAID-1 without the IDE driver...they are mainly there for RAID-1 to keep an idea of what 'health' level your array is at, and to help you rebuild a mirrored array within windows if a drive fails...but they are not critical (at least they have never been critical for me)

I am given the option (ver 6.70) to remove all or any of the following drivers (media shield, Ethernet, and nforce PCI systems manager). I am supposed to remove all of them and then reinstall and leave out the SW IDE driver correct?

only remove the one you need to removed (the IDE driver)

no sense in uninstalling every driver just to re-install all drivers except one when you can simply uninstall the one you dont need...right?

:tooth:

THanks AG :nod:

I guess the last one -the nForce systems PCI manager is the same as IDE driver and includes the Raid as well as PATA IDE drivers?? If so I will just check that box in control panel and remove and see what happens... It is confusing though that the system drivers aren't clearly mentioned