Sign in to follow this  
losershot

Sudden power down

I have been having trouble finding a thread related to this, mainly because people would use many ways to describe it.

My computer suddenly shuts down when I try multitasking a lot. An example would be I start up a game, mp3 player, teamspeak. After a few minutes of playing the game the computer suddenly shuts down.

Here are some keywords so people with simlar problems can find this thread more easily.

[ sudden shut down turn off power switch suddenly instant random ]

Do the fans and lights turn off as well?

I've had a problem with the monitor going into standby mode when the graphics card stops responding, but the fans and lights are still on.

Mine did same thig last night while playing CSS for 2 hrs....

I think its caused by heat as when i checked smartguardian when i rebooted my cpu had gone back to 50 but PWM and chipset were both in red 63 and 55 respectivly

I had the same problem with my system, Losershot. I could OCCT and SuperPi and 3DMark with no problems and could run Prime for 24 hours using any of the tests and everything seemed rock solid stable. But if I then started BF2 or FEAR, I'd get a shutdown -- just like someone pulled the plug -- after anywhere between 10 minutes and 1 hour. In my case, my OC was just a bit high. I upped the memory and CPU volts just a tad and lowered my OC by a few MHz, and everything has been fine since -- no more shutdowns. I also spent a couple of weeks tweaking my memory to get settings that worked. Before I did these things, my system was as stable as could be in every testing/benchmarking program I could throw at it, but when it came to games, things weren't stable. I had read Angry's earlier post that described how it often takes him weeks to get everything perfect, and that was my experience as well. I could easily get into the OC database at [email protected] with my Opty 146 -- I could show every screenie that is required -- but my system would not, in reality, be stable. Like lots of people say, there is a difference between being benchmark stable and being application stable.

Guest thespin

@mikemcc: if you are Prime95 stable but unstable in games, I would suspect the video or the sound card ... more the video unless 3DMark is a long stress test not just a benchmark ...

I considered that possibility, thespin, so about the first thing I did was swap with my previous video card and had the same problems. Didn't solve anything -- I wish it would have because I could have saved a *lot* of time! Only thing that worked was a slight reduction in OC and a bit of a bump in a couple of voltages. I guess I'm like a lot of others -- and this was what I was suggesting to the OP -- in that I see being benchy/testing stable as one thing while being game or "real-world" stable as something a bit different.