Sign in to follow this  
vitalix

Is OCZ Powerstream 420W sufficient for SLI-DR?

Hi all,

First post here, I tried to look around via search but could not find this, so I figure it would take a second to answer: Is the OCZ 420W Powerstream enough juice to fire up a UT SLI-DR? I heair 500W is the minimum, but is that a YMMV thing or do I need to upgrade my PSU?

Thanks in advance as always!

Depends on your components.

I have the 3800+ X2, 7800GT (one for now), OCZ Plat Rev2 1GB (TCCD), two SATA 160GB Seagates.

Thanks for the link, LDOG!

Ouch, officially not supported sounds like one of those things where the system runs weird and unstable and it's impossible to track anything down until swapping the PSU and presto problems go away.

But I've seen my 420W power up my duallie Xeon box with a 6800GT AGP solidly. Totally different animal, huh?

Thanks for the link, LDOG!

Ouch, officially not supported sounds like one of those things where the system runs weird and unstable and it's impossible to track anything down until swapping the PSU and presto problems go away.

But I've seen my 420W power up my duallie Xeon box with a 6800GT AGP solidly. Totally different animal, huh?

Hehe yep...power supply issues became a redundant theme, so DFI (at least the dfi-street.com side) decided to error to the side of caution and require high-rated PSU's, and to maintain a list of PSU's that are known & good.

And to be honest, if you do have problems and then post a question about it, the first four responses (because they are the most logical for DFI/nF4 problems) would be to upgrade/swap PSU.

And no, it's not so different of an animal, at least power consumption wise...but your DFI board is likely much more sensitive to fluctuations and spikes.

Yes, it is quite a bit different than any other motherboard you've ever owned.

There are four power connectors on the motherboard including the ATX, 4pin CPU, standard 4pin Molex and 4pin floppy power.

Since these boards were designed to allow the user to achieve very high levels of performance, the current demands required the additional connectors to provide current where needed.

There are four power connectors on the motherboard including the ATX, 4pin CPU, standard 4pin Molex and 4pin floppy power.

Do they all need to be connected? The eVGA NF41 I have now has a 4 pin molex on the board, but that is meant to be used only if there is a pair of SLI cards. The manual says it is not needed if there is a single card.

Is it likewise here, or does the board need all of the power?

Do they all need to be connected? The eVGA NF41 I have now has a 4 pin molex on the board, but that is meant to be used only if there is a pair of SLI cards. The manual says it is not needed if there is a single card.

YES!

Always use all four power connectors.

Yep, all 4 should always be connected.