How do I clearn CPU/

Not sure what purity, but you would use rubbing alcohol... providing you are talking about the top alluminum IHS part. If you are talking about the pins... wjhen I dirtied my sempy 2500+, I used an air gun as it was powerful enough to force anything out without eating the pins.

Not sure what purity, but you would use rubbing alcohol... providing you are talking about the top alluminum IHS part. If you are talking about the pins... wjhen I dirtied my sempy 2500+, I used an air gun as it was powerful enough to force anything out without eating the pins.

I am talking about the top. And thanks for the link Travis...I'll take a look at them and reply later.

Guest Spartacus

Ok, I'll prolly get some flak for this, but I've done it for a long time and it works great.

Soft toothbrush, dish soap for hand washing dishes (like "Joy" or whatever), and warm tap water.

Use a couple of drops of dish soap, clean off all of the AS5 smears with the toothbrush (gently!), and then rinse under the warm tap water. Repeat as needed.

Note that you do not want to run the toothbrush on the pin side of the CPU, you will bend them for sure.

Shake the water off of the CPU (don't lose grip and send it flying!) and then finish it off with some warm air from the hair dryer (not the scorching hot setting).

Let it set for 30 minutes or so and inspect it again for any water droplets (both sides!) before installing it and powering up.

It's the only way I've found to make the CPU look brand new again.

A few months ago my little brother called me to ask me about cleaning the CPU, I told him to do this and I had to swear up and down that I was not pulling his chain trying to get him to blow up his computer (as brothers are known to do). Finally got him to try it and all went well. :)

I take no responsibility for any "mishaps", but this has worked fine for me many times.

EDIT: I do this on naked core CPUs too. AthlonXP, Mobile A64, etc.

Guest Spartacus
Hehe... I'd do that but I'm running lidless. :)

See my edit, I do this on naked cores too, never a problem. :)

Ok, I'll prolly get some flak for this, but I've done it for a long time and it works great.

Soft toothbrush, dish soap for hand washing dishes (like "Joy" or whatever), and warm tap water.

Use a couple of drops of dish soap, clean off all of the AS5 smears with the toothbrush (gently!), and then rinse under the warm tap water. Repeat as needed.

Note that you do not want to run the toothbrush on the pin side of the CPU, you will bend them for sure.

Shake the water off of the CPU (don't lose grip and send it flying!) and then finish it off with some warm air from the hair dryer (not the scorching hot setting).

Let it set for 30 minutes or so and inspect it again for any water droplets (both sides!) before installing it and powering up.

It's the only way I've found to make the CPU look brand new again.

A few months ago my little brother called me to ask me about cleaning the CPU, I told him to do this and I had to swear up and down that I was not pulling his chain trying to get him to blow up his computer (as brothers are known to do). Finally got him to try it and all went well. :)

I take no responsibility for any "mishaps", but this has worked fine for me many times.

EDIT: I do this on naked core CPUs too. AthlonXP, Mobile A64, etc.

tapwater nor any non-evaporative water is never never a good idea

i highly recommend avoiding anything of the sort

alcohol and acetone are very acceptable as they evaporate very quickly and do not leave residue (nor do they contain minerals like water can).

I'd stick with Acetone and Alchohol, thanks. :)

BTW, what's the difference between the two, and why do we need both? Ive always been just cleaning with alchohol.

acetone to me is a bit more 'tough guy' cleaner, and cleans sticky stuff better

but for simple cpu/chipset/gpu cleaning etc...I only use 90% or better rubbing alcohol if there's nothing hard/sticky to remove