Newbie overclocking X2 3800+

kopykat

well, I ran OCCT and wasnt stable.

So i lowered my clock to 2650mhz rather than 2700mhz and it seems to have passed.

I didnt see any message at the end saying "your cpu is stable!" or anything, but the time passed and there were no errors, so I assume thats a good thing.

anyway, moving on to prime95 stress test now.

by the way Lowboy,

You said 1.5v is too high for an X2 3800+.

what kinda voltage should I aim for when it comes to 24/7 operation to be on the safe side?

thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a noob also in here but I read the overclock guide and it says in there that anyone that posts different numbers in one day is fooling themselves basically. They recommend running 24 hours min to see true stability. I am planning on takeing this whole week to get the most out of my new x2 3800+. I like to leave my computer on too much hosting ftps and downloading torrents to have a semi-stable setup.

anyway, moving on to prime95 stress test now.

Remember you have to run 2 intances of Prime95

by the way Lowboy,

You said 1.5v is too high for an X2 3800+.

he said with stock HS
Are you using stock heatsink? Cause if pi running that hot 2primes will sore because pi doesn't even stress a X2. 1.5v for stock HS isto high for x2 3800

what kinda voltage should I aim for when it comes to 24/7 operation to be on the safe side?

You'll get a lot of diferen't answers about that, 1.6v seems to be the average but the lower the better....

ok guys, so far, im running 2 instances of prime95 with affinity on set to each core for 9 hours and all seems good. cpu temp is pretty good i think - 43c. chipset is running kinda hot - 59-60c . cpu is clocked to 2630mhz @ 1.554v.

My question now is...

Should I try upping the voltage and clock a bit?

upping the clock even 2mhz now and i fail prime95.

I mean, as long as I can keep my cpu temp below 50c then its all good no?

thanks.

After looking a bit closer at Prime, I noticed that one core is lagging behind another, but not by hours, but by maybe 30seconds or something.

I started both tests 1 second apart from one another, is this something I should worry about?

OK I NEED HELP!

i moved on the testing my memory with memtest...

I lowered my multiplier to x7 , set my ram ratio to 200 1/01 and had my timings set to 3-3-3-6 . But the system would reboot before memtest would load. So i figured I should loosin the timings a bit and work my way to tighter timings, so I set my timings to 4-4-4-6.

now my computer wont even start, instead i get a long beep from the speaker that repeats itself every 5 seconds.

what the hell did i do??? :(