Newbie overclocking X2 3800+

kopykat

Hi all,

I've never overclocked anything before. I'm carefully reading a bunch of guides and so and now im in the process. Im gonna keep this post updated with my steps and if anyone sees im about to do something wrong or whatever please let me know.

Right now im at the very first stage, I isolated my testings to cpu only.

I set the multiplier to x10 and increased the FSB/HTT by 10mhz each time and once in windows ran the 32M super pi test. So far im up to 2400mhz @ 1.35v and no errors. temps of the cpu are between 40-45 where 42 is average. Im currently using stock cooling. when I moved up to 2500mhz and remained on 1.375v I couldnt complete the super pi test, so Im upping the voltage now to 1.375x104% = 1.430 according to THunDA's overclocking guide but in cpu-z my voltage appears as 1.392v.

If any of this sounds too much or too wrong, tell me plz.

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the stock multi for your proc? (cause i don't know)

did you set your RAM to null when doing this? i know you have XMS (which i don't remember, but i think is good) but you want to set a divider for it just in case (like 1/2)

you can't really trust cpu-z's volts.. try everest home edition (you can find the download at majorgeeks.com)

If you follow the guide exactly then it should be a snap to do! you might have trouble when it comes to isolating your RAM (as with timings and temps and volts)

As far as I know, my default multiplier is x10.

Since my last post I moved up to 2500mhz @ 1.375v x 104% = 1.43v.

I set the LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio (Ram Ratio) to 100(Mhz)(1/02).

right now im testing it at 2600mhz @ 1.375v x 110% = 1.513v.

The cpu temp at this point reaches 50 and sometimes pops at 51.

The chipset reaches much higher temps now as well - 55 or 52 (I cant tell which one is it, im using speedfan to monitor my temps and those are my temp2 and temp3, im assuming one of them is the chipset temp).

What temp should i not exceed for my chipset? where is the limit on that one?

Thanks.

if u only use the superPI test its not enough. use OCCT and prime95 after every fsb change to make sure u can move on to the next stage. it took me about a week or so to get to where i am now from stock settings. at 1st i also rushed and failed so dont make the same mistake i did and take ur time

yea im aware that just super pi alone isnt enough. But according to what ive read I should see the max i can reach with super pi and then move on to OCCT. if it fails there i clock down by a few mhz until stable and then move on to more instence tests such as running prime95 for 8-24 hours or so.

what should be my max temp limit for the chipset?

thanks.

CPU temp 50C or below with 2 instance of prime95 running with affinity set to each core. Are you using stock heatsink? Cause if pi running that hot 2primes will sore because pi doesn't even stress a X2. 1.5v for stock HS isto high for x2 3800

ok so I replaced my stock heatsink and fan now.

I placed a thermalright XP90 heatsinke with a Panaflo 92mm fan.

As we speak Im running super pi on the 32M test.

cpu is clocked to 2700mhz with 1.375x113% = 1.554v

cpu temp - 38c

chipset - 50c

man I this thermalright heatsink is doing a great job, not to mention this is much more easy on the ears as well.

I upped to 2800mhz and left the cpu vid as it was.

tempertures remained fine, but the system hanged while running super pi, pretty much at the begining too, it didnt even complete one loop yet.

anyways, Im gonna settle for 2700mhz with 1.375x113% = 1.554v

at the moment Im running the 30min stability test of OCCT.