Help w/ improving Halo graphics

THE_Nemesis

On my HP computer, I have an Athlon XP2400+, 768MB RAM, and a GeForce4 MX420. I can play halo @ 800x600 w/ VSYNC, every turned on high, AA is @ Application Controlled, AF @ 2x, and Image Settings set to quality. My graphics don't look as good as the graphics on this site:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halo/review.html

Or any other review that has screenshots. My graphics don't look as..."vivid"....I know it's a GeForce4, but I think there's at least something I can do....so can you guys recommend me some hacked NVIDIA drives that might be good or something?

On my HP computer, I have an Athlon XP2400+, 768MB RAM, and a GeForce4 MX420. I can play halo @ 800x600 w/ VSYNC, every turned on high, AA is @ Application Controlled, AF @ 2x, and Image Settings set to quality. My graphics don't look as good as the graphics on this site:

Or any other review that has screenshots. My graphics don't look as..."vivid"....I know it's a GeForce4, but I think there's at least something I can do....so can you guys recommend me some hacked NVIDIA drives that might be good or something?

The stock ones are pretty up to date. ATI is the one that generaly had better hacked drivers than general releast.

Did you try the display wizard and tweaking the colors with the latest drivers?

The stock ones are pretty up to date. ATI is the one that generaly had better hacked drivers than general releast.

Did you try the display wizard and tweaking the colors with the latest drivers?

Guest st_clancy

I've noticed a dramatic difference in vividness.. if you will, in all my game with the same setting at 800x600 it's like super crap, but right now it's the only thing I can play at with decent frames.... If I turn rez up to say 1024xwhatever and turn quality down.. it looks better than 800x600 with everything up high.. but I don't know about halo

Halo is such an extremely inefficient game that without really a higher-end graphics card (like the 5900 Nvidia or 9800 ATI or later) it probably will never really look right...Halo uses advanced graphics features that older cards, especially GeForce MX (which are not even real GeForce 4 gpu's, they are generally souped-up GF2 or GF3's etc) cards.

there's really no 'hacked' anything that can make your graphics card produce visuals that are satisfying as the gpu cannot even 'emulate' those features, and I don't think Halo has the ability to offload those 'emulations' that your gpu doesn't support to the cpu to emulate in software. (some games can do this when you have gfx card that cannot do DX9 effects, but the cpu can sorta emulate some of those effects but it really hinders performance....and Halo is an Xbox port, not the other way around...and has always ran like a dog and only the best systems make it look and perform well)