Moving from IDE RAID to SATA2 RAID

Hello all,

my current set up is XP SP2 booting on 2 MAXTOR 80's IDE RAID 0 on the NVRAID channel.

However I want to get two Samsung Spinpoint 250 GB (SATA2) and RAID 0

these up to have my OS boot on these. - but on the SILICON IMAGE RAID.

My question really is (bearing in mind I want to keep the old IDE RAID array intact) once I have plugged the new drives in, booted up and pressed F4 to enter RAID menu, do I deselect the 'bootable' option for the IDE array and select 'Bootable' for the new array?

I am worried that if I take the above action, deselecting 'bootable' fro the old IDE array will render it useless.

ie. if I do this will I still be able to read/write to stuff under windows on the old (IDE) array?

(also I am presuming I can't move the IDE array across to the SILICON IMAGE RAID as the controllers are different and the drive will not read - not sure about this...)

do I deselect the 'bootable' option for the IDE array and select 'Bootable' for the new array?

yes, then you create the array, save & exit, reboot, then go into bios and go into hdd boot priority section and make sure you set the 2x250 raid set as first boot

That is right, but I doubt, that you can use different Raid Controllers (the Silicon Image and the NVIDIA one) at the same time.

sure you can...I've done it (RAID-0 on the NV controller with a RAID-1 mirror array on teh SI3114...and I've done RAID-0 + RAID-0, and RAID-1 + RAID-1)