PSU upside down?

Fane0

My PSU barely fits into my case, and it has a 120mm fan on the top. If I were to install it in my case, it would have about 1/2 an inch of air before it would hit the case's top. Is this enough air for the fan to operate without problem? Better yet, could I install the PSU upside down safely, for better airflow to that fan? (The mounting holes dont line up with it unless it is upside down anyway...)

What looks to be upside down is more of question of where the PSU should be installed; at the top or at the bottom of the case. Make a google search and I'm sure you'll find pictures of it installed "upside down". Don't install it so the fan can't operate properly.

I don't know if this still is valid information, but there has been issues with the Strider since it's modular. The problem have been that one 4-pin connection wasn't foolproof, so you actually could install it the wrong way with an obvious result of burnt devices. If this still is a potential danger be aware and double-check it.

I had a OCZ modstream in a Tt Armour and the cables werent long enough to plumb the way I wanted so I ran it the other way. I also had about a half inch or more and had no heat problems.

In a perfect world it would be nice to have it sucking warm air from your proc, but if it cant, no big deal...

Do not throw in the trash.

It contains some metals which are not nice to the planet, get it recycled rather than trashed. Its mostly metal, and the plastics etc will just act as fuel at the temp it would be melted at.

Cya,

Sam C

Do not throw in the trash.

It contains some metals which are not nice to the planet, get it recycled rather than trashed. Its mostly metal, and the plastics etc will just act as fuel at the temp it would be melted at.

Cya,

Sam C

Heh, well uh...it didnt really look like an upside down sticker...

Thanks for clearing that up Sam. :P

I remember when there was no up or down. :P I suppose if you had a water cooling system, and your case/tubing prevented installation with the fan over the motherboard, you could just cut in a "blowhole" (I suppose it would be called a suckhole but that sounds so wrong) and add a filter. I'm sure your PSU would stay nice a cool that way. :D

(The mounting holes dont line up with it unless it is upside down anyway...)

I assume your dealing with a top, rear left mount. As such, whichever way the holes mount up, is the way I have always mounted them. From my experiences, every time they line up, the fan always points towards the inside of the case. This also seems to be the case in your situation, unless I’m reading something wrong. Also, the PSU specs labeling has always been readily visible and readable, since it is likewise directed at the inside and reads right side up. If I see that, it’s a go. If not, I would contact the manufacturer. Definitely keep in mind KimTjik's post.

(The mounting holes dont line up with it unless it is upside down anyway...)

I assume your dealing with a top, rear left mount. As such, whichever way the holes mount up, is the way I have always mounted them. From my experiences, every time they line up, the fan always points towards the inside of the case. This also seems to be the case in your situation, unless I’m reading something wrong. Also, the PSU specs labeling has always been readily visible and readable, since it is likewise directed at the inside and reads right side up. If I see that, it’s a go. If not, I would contact the manufacturer. Definitely keep in mind KimTjik's post.