Sign in to follow this  
tvsidekick

XP Pro X64

Was reading the reviews on NewEgg on XP Pro X64.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingRe...N82E16837102034

Sounds tempting as long as I'm starting a new system from scratch anyway. The only problems seem to be finding drivers for old software and printers etc. Wouldn't it be prudent to update almost all your drivers on a brand new install in any case? I'm just thinking that dealing with a new OS is just one more challange in a whole list of challanges in building an OC'ing machine. Isn't that why we're here? Seems like it would be nice not to have upgrade to X64 down the road. Are there terrible problems I'm being naive about?

Was reading the reviews on NewEgg on XP Pro X64.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingRe...N82E16837102034

Sounds tempting as long as I'm starting a new system from scratch anyway. The only problems seem to be finding drivers for old software and printers etc. Wouldn't it be prudent to update almost all your drivers on a brand new install in any case? I'm just thinking that dealing with a new OS is just one more challange in a whole list of challanges in building an OC'ing machine. Isn't that why we're here? Seems like it would be nice not to have upgrade to X64 down the road. Are there terrible problems I'm being naive about?

stick to 32-bit Windows XP

there's no reason to move to 64-bit

anyone that comes in here to tell you that I am smoking crack and know nothing...ask them how many native applications and games there are.

then ask them if all the drivers for all the hardware are available...and working properly.

then ask them if all of the 32-bit applications you need the most are working even in emulated 32-bit mode.

heh

I could give you a list of questions to ask them (and for the record, I am doing my once-per-quarter installation of Windows XP-64, and this time I have the Corp volume licensing so it is the latest out, and I am finding out that like Linux...it still isn't ready for primetime.)

Thats why I go ahead and just tell you a few of the first questions you should ask people who think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread...because they will appear out of the firmament to naysay me lol...but there's just no reason to deal with the headache.

Everything works properly now with SP2 in regular 32-bit windows. There's nothing more you need.

And you can definitely be sure that if there WAS a reason to use 64-bit windows, I would be the first one shouting it out across the forums...but there isn't...even with Valve having a true 64-bit installer and version of HL2 for Windows64 users...that just isn't a reason to go down the path...and not for FarCry64...and thats about it on the gaming front ;)

heh

you do NOT want to be hearing the level of throw-down some curses and explicitly colorful terms that I am bandying about right now in my distaste of 64-bit Windows and how nothing really works all that well (sorta like Linux...except if you are really smart with Linux you can make anything work...but it doesn't work that way in Microsoft world because Microsoft doesn't really live in the real world hehe...they live in fantasy land full of easy-bake ovens and easy-fix tv dinners and so-easy-it-hurts this or that...)

AHEM

I'm really not enjoying this Windows64 foray and I haven't even finished letting Steam upload the 64-bit version of HL2...and already fighting my sound card, Samsung LCD monitor, and lets not even get into how my Panasonic DV cam and Minolta digital cam don't work in 64...

Isn't Longhorn due for release this year?

You might wait until it's release. I had planned on a dual boot w/ XP Pro & XP 64 but decided to wait for longhorn. Besides there were too many drivers missing gor my components to make XP 64 worthwhile.

I suggest you check your system out by looking for the 64 bit driver availablity for your parts before deciding. I think there was only one virus program available (Avast?) with 64 bit support.

I had X64 up for almost a year and there were so many apps that would not run, I went back to 32 bit. I never could verify an oc with X64. Everytime there was a driver conflict, I would have to reload the OS. Probably 30 times. Yuck.

Longhorn is dead, Windows Vista is supossedly due 4th qtr 2006.

Norton has 64-bit support but thats the problem...

there's still very spotty hardware drivers (some work, some dont, some work for you but not for me type of scenarios, etc)

there's practically zero 64-bit software to use

32-bit software doesn't really run faster in 64-bit OS since it has to run on the WOW32 emulation...some 32-bit software does run SLIGHTLY faster in 64-bit OS...

but there's a lot of 32-bit software that doesn't run at all...

Longhorn (or Vista as MS wants it to be called) Driver Model is supposed to be one of the best upgrades to the OS besides the file system efficiency. ATI and Nvidia both tout the new LDM (Lonhorn Driver Model or whatever they calling it now) as being very very good...

but

like when Windows 2000 came out...it took a LONG time for all the hardware and software to work correctly (if it ever did)

and then a good ol' Service Pack would come along and fix a lot of bad problems with Win2k...and break a lot of software that took the software devs a good long time to finally get working with Win2k

then enter WindowsXP

and remember a lot of software really didn't work too well at first, and drivers were horrible.

then after a good chunk of time, we finally started seeing drivers that were sorta decent, and software began working...then along came a Service Pack or two and...well...now we are just finally at the point where XP 32-bit works pretty damn well, Service Packs and all...

and here's another OS that is 64-bit...that we get to go through all over again...

but wait

there's Vista (Longhorn) coming...and while it seems a lot of hardware/software companies are sorta sometimes making a little bit if any progress on real 64-bit XP drivers and software...they do seem to be putting a lot of time into making sure their hardware drivers and software applications conform to the Vista models in both 32 and 64 bit versions (and you can bet that AMD, Intel, and Microsoft are all working fairly hard to make sure there's really good compilers that take advantage of Vista's structure as well as being able to easily compile in both 32 and 64 bit)

and take to heart one final thing...

If Microsoft was really ready to make all of us jump into the 64-bit station wagon and drive us all to 64-bit Disneyworld...

then why would they waste time, energy, and resources to develop a 32-bit version of their newest OS, Vista (Longhorn)???

all cpu's are now 64-bit

but yet here's Microsoft, once again, dragging their heels keeping us tied down to the 32-bit side of the cemetary...just like they have with archaic floppy disk drive needs to install RAID and other storage controller drivers at the installation phase of WindowsXP...a MODERN OPERATING SYSTEM STILL NEEDING A PEICE OF HARDWARE WHO'S TECHNOLOGY DATES BACK OVER TWENTY (yes 20!) years...

AMD and Intel have seen the future

Microsoft sees it a little bit I think, but they can't ever seem to see the forest for the trees...

anyway

stick to 32-bit until we are force-fed it (hey...like we are now by trying to download something and it says NOT FOR WINDOWS98/ME...YOU MUST HAVE WINDOWS 2000 OR XP YA DIRTY BACKWOODS HICK...GET WITH THE MODERN DAY PROGRAM

:tooth:

Amen

I couldn't have said it better,

Angry, you da man!

ps, thanks for the help, with my oc, got it prime95 stable now :)

will enter it into database when I get some time.

Isn't Longhorn due for release this year?

You might wait until it's release. I had planned on a dual boot w/ XP Pro & XP 64 but decided to wait for longhorn. Besides there were too many drivers missing gor my components to make XP 64 worthwhile.

I suggest you check your system out by looking for the 64 bit driver availablity for your parts before deciding. I think there was only one virus program available (Avast?) with 64 bit support.

Longhorn aka Vista, is coming out sometime around Nov-Dec.

Im using the Vista Beta2 right now and have to say its rather annoying, it looks hella nice but microsoft have dumbed it down to the point were its annoying for the more knowledgeable users.

There is so much security integrated into Vista that it borders on extremely annoying.

Resources, well mine right now, at idle consumes 600mb of memory versus XPpro that uses 150mb at idle. 1gb is the recomended minimum according to microsoft.

Space, it takes up 9GB of drive space with a clean install.

Buying XP-64 right now would be a waste with Vista coming out.

Yeah, I was one of those poor suckers that fell for Microsoft's "Free Upgrade" to x64. I traded my XP Pro for x64 and have been fighting with x64 ever since. It is pretty fast, but the driver issues are killing me. I could no longer use my Hercules Digifire 7.1 sound card. Im about to go back to XP Pro. Thank you Microsoft for once again making our lives difficult...

The other question to ask is "Do you need to use more than 4GB of RAM?" because when it really comes down to it, that's one of the most compelling reasons to go 64bit.

So if you've got 4GB and it still isn't enough, then you might want to consider it. Heavy SolidWorks, ProE, AutoCad, Maya, etc, or maybe data mining are some of the reasons I can think of to go 64bit on a workstation. Gaming isn't one of them though.

Sign in to follow this