Which controller?

Guest geronimo_merged

Guest geronimo

Hi!

I'm about to add 4 250gb hitachi sata 2 ncq drives. In raid 1+0

I'm running os on a wd raptor.

Which controller should i run the raptor on? And what should i run the raid on?

I'm also thinking about adding 2 wd 200gb sata 2 drives in raid 0 later on.

What will be fastes for os the raptor or wd?

Any tips ideas thought comments and suggestions are welcome.

My opinion is that the SIL controller will do just fine in RAID-0+1 at SATA speeds.

The Raptor on the nVidia controller is my choice since it will be the location of the OS and the Raptor has mad fast access times and bandwidth that the nVidia controller on the PCIe bus can take advantage of.

The RAID-0+1 array will be slowed down by the mirror function so the SIL controller on the PCI bus will be just fine.

Of course you can build it both ways and benchmark to see where the performance is.

Guest geronimo

I'll build it both ways. But probably go with the sli as u said and keep tha raptor on nvidia which i'm probably going to add 2 wd in raid 0.

Didn't get my question answered if i just can switch the raptor to the sli slot if i want to do testing that is.

Guest geronimo

Maybe i should say that the raid 1+0 is for image editing. I use a program which benefit fom fast drives.

exroadie I see your view point but is that the slow down of the 0+1 will slow it down enough that satall is not important? Or is it that the raptor with OS is more important to keep its speed?

The biggest advantage SATA II has is in Burst speed due to the faster link between the controller and the drive cache. The 7,200rpm drives won't make a difference on the SIL controller.

The way he'll be using the drives looks like he'll load the images from the array onto the OS drive when he runs his application. The Raptor will also have his pagefile. This keeps the fastest sustained throughput on the nVidia controller where it can do the most good.

Mostly 4mb-100mb files.

Any thought about setup cluster and stuff.

Since you won't be booting from the array on the SIL controller, you'll have lots of opportunity to change the stripe and cluster settings to see which gives you the best performance.

You'll have two drives in the stripe so try keeping a 4 to 1 stripe to cluster ratio but don't be afraid to experiment.