i need some advice

Wetchaser

er...

first...let me put my perspective on Windows XP 64-bit because I do not recommend it at all...and PLEASE give this a read (so I don't have to repeat it)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37670

now....

I don't quite remember saying the Expert board was what you must have

If I did, please let me know where I put that so I can erase it and at the same time state for the record that Smoken Joe is right...it would be idiotic of me to not recommend the Ultra-D and only a single 7800GTX and Windows XP 32-bit edition (everything else looks good!)

I remember us talking about 754 cpu's and AGP and then all of the sudden somehow after I gave some advice saying if you maybe wanted to move into 939 you'd have to have PCI-E I've somehow made some suggestions that I don't remember making lol.

SJ is right in the sense that the BIOSes are much much more mature on the Ultra-D/SLI-D/SLI-DR (non-Expert) NF4 boards. I still prefer them over the Expert. I do have the Expert board in my sig and in my main rig right now because I am getting into the 'everyday use' stage so I can better understand it (and as more bioses are coming for it finally).

But I do suggest you stick to the original Lanparty Ultra-D or just spend a few $'s more for the SLI-DR (you can just get the UT that doesn't have all the accessories).

and i don't really suggest 7800GTX SLI right now unless your plan is to play on a Dell 24" Widescreen LCD at 1920x1480 or whatever the heck that thing's native resolution is with 8xAA/16xAF and all the eye candy you could possibly turn on maximum to maximum lol

SLI is really only for you if you plan to play 1600x1200 or higher with every single possible graphics option maxed out.

If you are like me, who is pretty 'hardcore' but not so hardcore that I can afford a 24" Widescreen LCD (I only have a Samsung 915N 19" LCD and I like it just fine heh) and only really need to play at 1280x1024 with all the graphics turned on to maximum....then a single 7800GTX is all ya need.

and hey...if you do NEED that second 7800GTX cuz just one ain't cuttin it...well, you can always get the second one down the road and add it right in....but why spend that extra $500 without seeing how your already-badassedly-configured-dream-machine will perform first?

the 4400+ X2 is a great cpu...I have one. I killed mine, but keep in mind that my cpu's get abused more than any 50 users here could abuse a cpu in it's lifetime and I am actually surprised that it lasted as long as it did lol

but i would easily recommend the 4400+ as a great starting point, especially if it is the newer E6 cores. EVERY 4400+ I have ever read about or used myself has EASILY hit 2400Mhz, which is the 4800+'s stock speed.

and I don't think there's been but maybe one, possibly two 4400+'s (including older E4 cores) that wouldn't do 2600Mhz, and especially with all the right hardware like you getting ;)

now im gonna post this and read your last few posts hehe

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

awsome job Joe, the 4200 lose 512 mb in the L2 cache, but the 4400 has the same cache and is almost 400 bucks cheaper with only a .2 ghz drop in speed. I think im working my way towards that new monitor quickly. List updated :)

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishLi...itle=next+build

Another buddy told me to check out this stuff, and it looks like a great idea to me.

http://www.extremereviews.net/data.php?rec...e=1&type=review

What do you all think about this as the fluid of choice for cooling?

ok, as before, ditch the 64-bit windows, and go for only a single 7800GTX, and the SLI-DR non-expert NF4 board for now, and you can get that monitor you been wanting ;)

now, as for FluidXP

before you make any decisions about this kind of stuff, wait until you talk to CPU Killer (he's at CES in Vegas this weekend, but he'll be back monday or tuesday so be PATIENT!) about watercooling.

he might steer you into some better fluid (or just regular distilled water with coolant might be good enough according to him...thats all he tells me to use and that is all I use and I've been satisfied from day1 with it). But definitely talk to him about anything watercooling related ;)

updated again http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishLi...itle=next+build

i noticed that the vid card comes with a copy of "gamedrive". Would adding one more drive mess up raid?

yea monitor is definatly gonna happen now, unless killer really nails me to some high dollar cooling solution.

i notice you didnt comment on the psu option joe brought up angry.

Originally Posted by Smoken Joe

Nice wish list! The powerstreem is my first choice for a PSU for many reasons stability is one big one

i noticed that the vid card comes with a copy of "gamedrive". Would adding one more drive mess up raid?

er...I have no idea what this is, and I probably wouldn't use it if it is a virtual cd/dvd drive because I use Daemon-Tools 4.03 and that is all I need ;)

and you can have as many drives as you want really...it wont mess anything up.

i notice you didnt comment on the psu option joe brought up angry.

I didn't comment because I guess I thought it was common knowledge that I think the 520w OCZ Powerstream is the best psu on the market right now, and always recommend it to anyone that is looking for a psu.

;)

Well system is here basically. have been not rushing build in any way. Put stock HS. on for now. Will look at water cooling later down the road. CPUZ, were are you?

1. Im getting down to nitty gritty, and final puchase is pair of opticals. Was looking at getting a matching pair of lite-on's. Seems to be the name dropped at every optical conversation.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827152058

2 of those, and im finished right? Or would it be smarter to get 2 differant brands for more burning options?

2. Someone please point me towards order of operation for getting a raid system up and going, using the nvida raid array . order of driver install, blah, blah, blah....

To Angry, PSU looks mighty dang stout. Finish is unbelivable on it. I wish it had one more row of sata connectors on it, but ill survive without them i guess. Computer case rocks. Love the hard drive box that keeps em all tight, orderly, and cooled! OCZ ram looks good reflecting off psu. This case makes hiding wires so easy. Promtly broke 2 wheel locks when i layed case on its side for build :( considering placing 2 p/u handles on top of case.

I really need a 100% idiot proof way to slipstream the service packs into xp install disc. Links to service packs would be nice bonus, lol.