Bending Heat Pipes?

chewbacca

I'm planning on using my stock AMD heat sink as a replacement for the stock chipset cooler on my nF4 Ultra Infinity. I'll be removing the fan from the unit since I want a passive heat sink to completely silence my computer - the chipset fan is the only remaining audible noise now. Hopefully it'll be an even better cooler than the little heat sink and fan currently on the chipset.

One of my problems is the video card and heat sink/fan getting in the way. I don't have SLI on my motherboard so I can't just move it out of the way. These completely cover the chipset area, so I'll only have a centimeter or two of space (however tall the chipset heat sink/fan is. I was planning to somehow make the AMD heat sink go up at a 90° angle where the heat pipes start to bend around. It might be easier to understand with a sketch:

hsfmod1lm.png

This poses another issue: can I bend the heat pipes without breaking them or damaging them in some way? This design is mainly to get around the video card and still keep some cooling power. I don't think the fins will work as well as before, but they'll still do. :) My real question lies in the bending of the pipes. I searched for it but didn't find useful results. Has anyone done anything like this before? I haven't seen any yet. :P

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips. I'm very new to modding, if you can't tell.

Thanks for the reassurance. Now I can mod (almost) without fear! :P

I have one more question, although it's a bit general: what type of tool do you guys use to cut metal? I've only used a saw on some plastic and thin metal. I don't really know where to go from there. I want to avoid power tools because I'm afraid of making a mistake. :O

As soon as I take measurements and gather the tools, I'll be on my way. I'll post pictures and results if it actually works. :shake:

I myself use a dremmel, its got a lot of different cutting attatchments, for small applications. For larger jobs I use a hacksaw, but I dont get to use it often because most of the cutting are for small things that relate to a case. The biggest one I had to cut is when I tried to modify an aluminum heatsink that came with one of my cpu's, hacksaw did the job well.

I have bent an SI-97 thermalright 90dgres for my gfx card and bent an xp-120 90dgres , removed the base plate and soldered it to a second xp-120.You can bend them slowly one small place at a time or you can use heat but its hard to hold and get the bends where you want.If you start to get a kink stop and use a small needle nose plyers and squeeze the edges of the kink to make the tube round again.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/312249...312255757TltDWY

http://community.webshots.com/photo/312249...312255886sXjclI

http://community.webshots.com/photo/312249...312255825lxaHJZ

http://community.webshots.com/photo/312249...312255956QDBbXK

That was a lot of help; thank you both.

fordf250, I see you have dual fans on that double XP-120. Do you think a passive heat sink by itself will sufficiently cool my nForce4 Northbridge? I'm expecting the result to look somewhat like the first one that you bent upwards.

Again, thanks for the pointers, everyone.

OK, I finally got a free weekend, and I separated the fins from the base of the heat sink, bending the pipes. Nothing happened to them, but I ran into a problem when a capacitor on the motherboard got in the way. I wasn't anticipating this, and bending all of the pipes in another direction and back (it's hard to explain) would've wasted too much time. Also, I don't think drilled holes for push-pins would've held the heat sink in place when it was done. They would've fit at the very edges, and I didn't want to risk anything else.

So today all I got done was putting some Arctic Silver 5 on the chipset, and I ended up with a bent-up heat sink. Oh well... maybe I can use it sometime later. My Northbridge does run a tiny bit cooler now, but I still have the noise. So much for this project... :(