Can't install sound driver?

Hello.

I've been running this Ultra-D for two days now, but I haven't got sound on it yet. I installed the sound chip earlier on, and Windows XP SP2 said "detected new soundcard"... something. So I took my nForce driver and chose only sounddriver, rebooted, installed Winamp... but did it work? No... So I tried to install it from the device manager by searching in the temp dir, but it keeps saying that the install did not succeed, but not why it didn't. I've tried the CD drivers too, but it's exactly the same... Help.

Tore.

I did that in the first place. I just had the chip out after removing ALL nVidia drivers, and then installed it again, Windows finds that there is a new soundcard, I install the ones I downloaded and it says in device manager that "the driver isn't installed for this device".

Try using Driver Cleaner Pro to removed all of the drivers. Follow the directions very carefully.

When you reboot install the drivers you downloaded.

If that doesn't fix things you might have a bad OS install.

Ye, it was a bad OS install. It works now after a reboot.. and then.. not perfectly. For some reason the onboard sound will only play if the connector is only halfway in the green line out channel. How can that be?

And another thing:

I can play HL2 perfectly with everything at max and so on, but when I just walk around at high fps and everything I have these bits of lag. It doesn't feel like FPS lag but more like a lag of RAM or something. Could it be because I'm running onboard sound or only 1GB of RAM?

I bet it's your power supply. I looked around a little and it seems that Levicom only has 21 amps on the 12V line. I'm not sure how many amps your 7800GT needs (DFI recommends 34 for 2 in SLI), I wouldn't be surprised if those 21 amps were too low for your setup.

J

For some reason the onboard sound will only play if the connector is only halfway in the green line out channel. How can that be?

If you're only pushing the plug in halfway, you're losing the two channel sound and it's sending one channel to both sides.