2x1024 OCZ Plat max 220?

stanggt00

I replaced my 2x512 OCZ Plat rev 2's yesterday with 2x1024 OCZ platinums. First, I could not get it to boot at 2-3-2-5 as advertised, so I left it at the 2.5-3-2-5 it wanted to run. So I start the overclocking and find that it will not pass memtest #5 at anything above 220mhz regardless of volts or timings (had it up to 2.9V @ 3-5-5-8). Someone else had said that was the highest they could get theirs as well. Is there a problem with these sticks? I cant understand why it wouldnt run the 2-3-2-5. Could they have been damaged due to the bull crape packing job by newegg? They came in an 8x8 box with on piece of bubble wrap covering the bottom of the box while the ram just flopped around in the rest of the 7.5x8 inches. They have passed memtest at the current 220mhz @ 2.5-3-3-6.

Is there anything I can try to get the ram higher? Should I be concernd with the poor packaging of the ram? I plan on complaining to newgg, but that and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee. Thanks for your suggestions.

P.S. I know I can get 2500-2600 out of it by using a divider, I would just like to get the maximum I can from the ram along with it. And from what I have been reading, this ram should be able to hit higher than 220. Thanks again for your time.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because that ram has tight timimngs for a 2x1 gig set.....and it is well documented that those sticks of mem do not clock very well, but give you great timimngs at lower settings. If you wanted a high 1to1 clock you should have got the 4000 plat series. :)

Guest laydback

Try one stick at a time. See if one clocks higher then the other. If so send them back.

hmm. well mine run @ 225 stable. check out my entry in the overclocking database here for info. To be honest, i really haven't messed with these sticks much. I found these settings in another entry in the OC DB (which is kickass btw) and they worked for me, so im sticking with them.

Well, I tried all of the settings that jcmuse suggested, but I couldnt even boot to memtest with them. And I did it with the same total CPU speed I have been at (2500mhz), but with a 9/10 divider putting the ram at 227 (454 DDR). I have not tried each individual stick, just yet, but I may just settle for what I have. Although I may do each individual just for testing purposes. I cant try and get an RMA just because the RAM will not go more than 220 when it performs at stock speeds just fine.

Any other suggestions in the meantime?

I have one off those sets too. While I have never had any problems getting them to work at 2-3-3-5@200mhz I am not able to overclock them much. My set seems to do best at 2,7v, any more voltage makes them less stable. I can use 212mhz at 2-3-2-5, if I use 2,5-3-2-5 I can reach 225mhz. Looser timings than that doesnt seem to improve mhz, so I have not experimented much above that.

So I should RMA them because they will not boot at 2-3-2-5? Im gonna get in touch with OCZ and see what they say. I am sure they should be able to do a little over 220 so I can set my divider at 9/10 vice 5/06. I will be much happier then.

OK, I registered with OCZ's forums and notice ALOT of people having problems with these 2x1Gig kit's. I have the smaller problem of them all as I can pass memtest, just not at the CAS it should or at the max speed they say it can reach. There are some settings which may fix this, I am waiting for them to reply. Just wanted to keep you guys (and the archives) up to date.

OK, so I used all the settings that OCZ recommended here and I was able to boot the ram and pass memtest at 212mhz with a 2-3-3-8. I had to loosen them up to 2.5-3-3-8 and I was able to get 223mhz out of the ram through memtest. However, I could not find a divider / multiplier combination that would allow me to get the max out of both, so I am back where I started.

The question I posted to them now is, why did I have to make all of those changs for the advertised 2-3-2-5 setting to even boot. And, since I am back at 210mhz on the ram with 2.5-3-2-5 settings, which of those settings could adversely affect the performance. I found that I could not pass OCCT at the same settings as before after those changes, so I restored optimized defaults. Any suggestions?

Hey jcmuse, what kind of cooling are you using? Is it possible for me to get more CPU overhead with water cooling? I would really like to see 2700 + out of this thing and if water is what it takes, I may go that route.