New Raptor

KaollaSu

Do you even know what you're talking about? Identical drives, the RAID array will always be faster than the single drive running stand alone! If that weren't the case, then no one would even run RAID! Where r u coming from? A RAID0 array writes zeros to one drive and ones to another at the same time. Thereby splitting the workload and the read and write times between two drives. The only thing that decreases in a RAID0 over a single drive is the access times!

Please note, I said software raid. I am not gonna go out and buy a seperate pci raid controller. It's a big waste. Software raid is slow and uses up CPU... and besides... it's already been proven it's not always faster. Also, any user reads more than he writes, I guaruntee it. So uh... where is the benefit for gaming? Faster installs? Please, dude.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please note, I said software raid. I am not gonna go out and buy a seperate pci raid controller. It's a big waste. Software raid is slow and uses up CPU... and besides... it's already been proven it's not always faster. Also, any user reads more than he writes, I guaruntee it. So uh... where is the benefit for gaming? Faster installs? Please, dude.

Have you even taken look at the Hard Drive Benchmark thread?

It's stickied at the top of this forum.

Maybe then you can quote some actual facts.

Have you even taken look at the Hard Drive Benchmark thread?

It's stickied at the top of this forum.

Maybe then you can quote some actual facts.

And a few posts down it said that at least part of the testing could not be trusted. Can't say I trust any of it. Anyway... if reading is slower, it's not going to help in games. Hardware RAID definitely helps, but I still don't beleive software raid improves read times. Perhaps write as stated, but that's not going to help enough to make it better for gaming... and if I recall a big name already stated that game load times were longer. If I wrong, I am withdraw my statements (prolly am)...

I still prefer my single disk, as it's one less thing I have to cludge with. Oh well... my disk prolly reads as fast as any of those raptors barring the new one anyway... *pets reiserfs*

Now if one of those monsters had reiser on it, well, I'd lose.

You can take the blue pill and beleve whatever you want to beleve.....................

ignore first post.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37513

If you prefer no hassle of a single drive and dont mind he extra money fine- just dont argure that raid is useless it just makes you look stupid. Read the stickie and some recent model revies- BTW where can you find a performance MB without hardware raid andwhy would you pair that with a diamond coverd hard drive?

You can take the blue pill and beleve whatever you want to beleve.....................

ignore first post.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37513

If you prefer no hassle of a single drive and dont mind he extra money fine- just dont argure that raid is useless it just makes you look stupid. Read the stickie and some recent model revies- BTW where can you find a performance MB without hardware raid andwhy would you pair that with a diamond coverd hard drive?

It is worthless. *ducks*

No, I can see it's uses. And now that I know that they got away from software raid ( I was under the impression that they were using software based raid ) it's definitely a good thing. I still stand by my statement that software raid is useless. Well, for me anyway... and everyone else I know.

*waves a gentoo coloured flag*

And a few posts down it said that at least part of the testing could not be trusted.

Talk about selective reasoning! LOL

soundx98 was only referring to the Burst reading in HDTach. But if you had continued reading we later learned that the performance level we are seeing is actually correct.

The burst speed is the performance from the nVidia controller and the drives onboard cache. The numbers you see are real and repeatable.

Since the cache doesn't have the bottleneck that the actual drive has, it can supply the data to the controller at nearly the full 3.0Gbps rate of the SATA II interface.

This proves the sustained throughput limitation of the 7,200rpm drives versus the 10,000rpm Raptors.

Once again, your opinion is yours but the facts stand on their own. RAID-0 performance is vastly superior to single drive performance all other things being equal.

Talk about selective reasoning! LOL

soundx98 was only referring to the Burst reading in HDTach. But if you had continued reading we later learned that the performance level we are seeing is actually correct.

The burst speed is the performance from the nVidia controller and the drives onboard cache. The numbers you see are real and repeatable.

Since the cache doesn't have the bottleneck that the actual drive has, it can supply the data to the controller at nearly the full 3.0Gbps rate of the SATA II interface.

This proves the sustained throughput limitation of the 7,200rpm drives versus the 10,000rpm Raptors.

Once again, your opinion is yours but the facts stand on their own. RAID-0 performance is vastly superior to single drive performance all other things being equal.

Note, I never said HARDWARE RAID. I said SOFTWARE RAID. I wasn't aware they were using hardware level controllers in the newer boards.

Note, I never said HARDWARE RAID. I said SOFTWARE RAID. I wasn't aware they were using hardware level controllers in the newer boards.

Here you go:

RAID is annoying. I prefer a single drive, the same way I'd prefer to have only one video card. It's such a horribly diminishing return it's scary. In sli, the second card provides roughly 50 to 70 percent of it's original performance? What happens to my other 30 to 50 percent? I paid for that, dammit.

As for the Raptor 150, it's the same as the raptor 74. It's gonna beat the predecessor in single mode, and no two drives are faster than the single with software raid, unless something has drastically changed since the days of good hardware. But yeah... the 150 would win period, as would two 150's in raid would beat to 74's, just like the 74's beat the 36's. They have to, or else they aren't an upgrade are they?

The warning among others:

This forum is chocked full of people that are very smart and know what they're talking about. You really should do your homework before posting lest you get schooled.

If someone says study up before arguing then you might do it not trying to be mean or anyting just fendly advice. We all lie to ourselves when we dont want to upgrade or make a change it is only human. The key is to decide when to upgrade and how to best use your money. There is nothing wrong with a singal expensive drive if you have the money.

Here you go:

The warning among others:

If someone says study up before arguing then you might do it not trying to be mean or anyting just fendly advice. We all lie to ourselves when we dont want to upgrade or make a change it is only human. The key is to decide when to upgrade and how to best use your money. There is nothing wrong with a singal expensive drive if you have the money.

Um, even where you quoted it blatantly says software RAID. Anyway, I said I might be wrong, let's move on.

Anyway, you can't argue that raid provided by these boards is useful for me. I can't even use it. :)

For Clarity!

Hardware RAID is the type of controller that is hardwired to provide RAID service only. With hardware RAID, you must provide the minimum number of drives to build an array(two drives for 0 or 1). They will not work with a single drive or allow multiple drives to be setup as singles.