New Raptor

KaollaSu

Did you look at the post I linked to? It's pretty clear using real world and synthetic benchmarks that RAID0 makes no sense on a desktop. Why do it if you are actually getting worse performance? There is also a full review at Storage Review showing that the new 150's outperform even the newest 74GB models by a good margin. This shows that they are not just the same drives with 2 platters.

Read on in that post in the rebuttal. I?O is not everything especaly with large files and a well defragmented hard drive. Look at transfer rate and simply try it sometime it is a huge improvement.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Centurychild,

Throw up some benchies of your 150 single, specifically using HDTach and HDTune. I've already done the same here at the Street so I'll just relink to my already uploaded files.

If my two Raptors in RAID0 are beat by your single 150gb I'll gracefully admit that you are indeed king of the hill.

But at any rate, it still comes down to bling bling. Why do you think so many of us here at the Street run RAID? We do it because it's cool and because we can :)

Otherwise, motherboard and chipset makers wouldn't even bother wasting the time to put RAID capable motherboards on the market.

RAID is annoying. I prefer a single drive, the same way I'd prefer to have only one video card. It's such a horribly diminishing return it's scary. In sli, the second card provides roughly 50 to 70 percent of it's original performance? What happens to my other 30 to 50 percent? I paid for that, dammit. :D

As for the Raptor 150, it's the same as the raptor 74. It's gonna beat the predecessor in single mode, and no two drives are faster than the single with software raid, unless something has drastically changed since the days of good hardware. But yeah... the 150 would win period, as would two 150's in raid would beat to 74's, just like the 74's beat the 36's. They have to, or else they aren't an upgrade are they?

Do you even know what you're talking about? Identical drives, the RAID array will always be faster than the single drive running stand alone! If that weren't the case, then no one would even run RAID! Where r u coming from? A RAID0 array writes zeros to one drive and ones to another at the same time. Thereby splitting the workload and the read and write times between two drives. The only thing that decreases in a RAID0 over a single drive is the access times!

Have a look at this before you go espousing on RAID0 performance: http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?...ndpost&p=221874

Yeah, the window on the X looks snazzy but it also cuts the MTBF of the drive in half.

That graph only shows the I/O performance. Since desktop computers depend more upon access times and throughput, I/O performance is a moot point.

RAID-0 has been discussed at length in this forum. We have tested single drives versus RAID-0 arrays with both synthetic and application benchmarks.

Using the same drive, RAID-0 totally dominates a single drive in every category. Period.

RAID-0 is worth exactly what each person decides.

This forum is chocked full of people that are very smart and know what they're talking about. You really should do your homework before posting lest you get schooled.

As usual Roadie, well put. I'm just trying to figure out why someone would spend over $2.30 per gigabyte for a storage solution on a single drive when they could use the same money for a RAID setup.

As usual Roadie, well put. I'm just trying to figure out why someone would spend over $2.30 per gigabyte for a storage solution on a single drive when they could use the same money for a RAID setup.

Like I said, everything is worth exactly what you pay for it.

I might spend several hundred dollars for a CPU that you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

I prefer the price versus performance of the Hitachi drives myself. soundx98 spends the bucks for a dual Raptor array. THunDA is in love with his X2 3800.

But that's what makes this forum so cool.