Rdx200 12/23/05 Bios

Howdy,

Is the 12/23/05 BIOS update safe to install? It's on the Beta page of DFI and they mention about a "risk" because it's a Beta. I see people have installed this BIOS version and have no problem. My questions are:

1) If I install the 12/23/05 Beta, will I have to install a new one when the "full version" is out?

2) Will this update work for Windows XP: Professional X64?

3) Is updating the BIOS "safe" now?

Thanks,

Eric220 :rolleyes:

Flashing to a beta BIOS might solve problems one is facing, but can also create problems you didn't have before.

A BIOS stands loose to what O/S you are using (as far I know). So any BIOS will work with every Windows version.

I never had problems with flashing my BIOS, only once 2 years ago. Use Winflash and flash the entire BIOS from within Windows. (make sure that you select "update all" and clear CMOS when using Winflash)

I'm kinda new to this whole CMOS thing...And updating BIOS's. On my old Intel motherboard, I just double clicked the .exe and the BIOS was updated. How does it work now? Does clearing CMOS erase Windows?

I'm kinda new to this whole CMOS thing...And updating BIOS's. On my old Intel motherboard, I just double clicked the .exe and the BIOS was updated. How does it work now? Does clearing CMOS erase Windows?

Clearing CMOS does not erase Windows.

For info on how to use winflash to update your BIOS, go to the DFI website, in the page where you donwload the BIOS you have some info about winflash.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IS A BIOS UPDATE, HOW TO DO IT OR THE CONSEQUENCES OF A BIOS UPDATE, YOU SHOULD NOT DO IT ON YOUR OWN. ASK FOR HELP FROM A FRIEND THAT KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.

Regards,

It IS simple :D

A child can do it, as to the past you had to do it via a floppydisk and if the floppy contained an error or any error during the flash you were pretty much @#!^ ;)

Reason I clear CMOS is that all of the settings of the previous BIOS is gone.. have a clean start. Not required, but I still do it, maybe it is something of the past.

BIOS is the Basic Imput Output System and CMOS is where the data is stored at. I like to clear this and make sure that all the data of the previous BIOS is gone. As I said, it might be something that still lives in me from the past days,but I still do and recommend it.

Download winflash

Install it in a folder on your desktop or anywhere else. Download BIOS and extract the *.BIN file into the Winflash folder.

Startup Winflash, select Update All and select clear CMOS and set CMOS defaults. Then click on FILE and Update BIOS.

Select the new downloaded and extracted BIOS file from the winflash folder and update. That's all. :-)

You can also look for the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS, this is on the lower right side of the BOARD and is called CCMS. Place jumpercap on pins 2&3 for a few seconds while PC is powerd off.. put jumpercap back on pins 1&2 and power on your PC.

I have tried all BIOS's so far, if you encounter any problem with bootup try the BIOS that is "released" on 12/12/05 from this link: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bios..._FLAG=B&SITE=US

You can also look for the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS, this is on the lower right side of the BOARD and is called CCMS. Place jumpercap on pins 2&3 for a few seconds while PC is powerd off.. put jumpercap back on pins 1&2 and power on your PC.

Is this really necessary? Or can Winflash do it all? I really don't wanna short circuit somethin. :sweat: So is this step a must?