Cant add ram!

what core dose your processor have? is it clawhammer?

cgbben1 is on the right track here. More than likely you have a C0 Revision Clawhammer 3000+. If that is the case, 3 sticks of ram is an impossible combo, because the memory controller needs to set the memory to 2T Command rate. C0 Revision Clawhammers are not physically capable of being set to 2T. Hence the issue that you were experiencing...

CG revision Clawhammers on the other hand can support 3 sticks of ram at one time, none the less, the command rate still needs to be set to 2T for this to work.

Im far from an expert at all but I dont think that is the case. I dont have a Clawhammer it is a Newcastle. I wouldnt know about the 3 sticks working cause it never did, but 2 mismatched ones didnt work either. With the 1 gig and the 512 it would only see 512 total. Also I cannot have a Clawhammer because you say it wont do 2t and thats is what I am running right now.

In any case my board, or cpu, who knows, doesnt like running non matching sticks. It is resolved now but it shouldve worked in the first place.

Dave

Im far from an expert at all but I dont think that is the case. I dont have a Clawhammer it is a Newcastle. I wouldnt know about the 3 sticks working cause it never did, but 2 mismatched ones didnt work either. With the 1 gig and the 512 it would only see 512 total. Also I cannot have a Clawhammer because you say it wont do 2t and thats is what I am running right now.

In any case my board, or cpu, who knows, doesnt like running non matching sticks. It is resolved now but it shouldve worked in the first place.

Dave

Ahhh. I only assumed that (I know assumptions are bad) because the exact same problems will happen if you try to do that on a C0 Rev Clawhammer. Also, in your signature you only state that it's a 3000+ so another reason as to why I thought it was a CPU thing. Anyways, 2x1GB sticks with 1T Command sounds a lot better to me than 2x512 + 1x1GB 2T Command rate.

Now that I think about it as well, even though it's not a Clawhammer core CPU, Populating all the Memory slots on the board can be very hard on the Memory controller on the CPU. Some are stronger than others, and you're doing your CPU a favor running 2x1GB instead of the other configuration.

Anyways, glad that you were somewhat able to sort the issue out. Have a good one. :)

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread because I have an empty memory slot on my nf3.

I have a matched set of 512 corsair value slect in the first and second slots. I was thinking about adding a one gig stick to the third slot because nature abhors a vacuum. I basically am clueless when it comes to these matters but you all have helped me out with this issue. What I don't understand is how to match the 512 sticks I have to the one gig stick I want to buy.

I have an AMD 3400. Why would there be three memory slots if the amd chip will only ever support two sticks at a time? How would I set the bios? Why don't I know more than my kid?

Rico

PS is that digger alcohol or nitro?

Could you make a sig up so I can see what type of RAM you have. Getting a 1gig stick to work with 2 X 512's is a crapshoot that you will invest more time in than it's worth.. It can be done, I have done it, but it takes alot of time to get it right. By the time your done you have loose timings, 2T, and a divider so it pretty kills any performance increase except that you have 2 gigs of RAM.

The pic of my ride was taken when it was on gasoline. It was a class car, using all over the counter GM Performance parts. Money has taken over the class so I moved into Alcohol injection and now run Super Eliminator. More fun and more money to be made

Sorry about the delay in getting back.I'll have to get my kid over to show me what a sig is and how to set it up.He moderates a board somewhere.As I said, your dealing with a real n00b here. I can tell you that it two matched sticks of 512.The part number is VS1GBKIT400.

I don't do any gaming but a lot of video.Thats what I built the rig for.I would settle for a third stick of 512 if I could match it to what I have. I was going to add the one gig stick cause I had the extra money for one.I don't really have money for two 1 g sticks right now.

Thank you both for taking pity on an old man.

Isn't that the way it always is.I remember when sportsman class was started to let the "little guy" with no money run.You could be competitive for about 25K a year and that included the car!

I've always been a mopar guy but I just got a 91 olds wagon for fun and games.

I have never run on a track but we have some industrial sites we use for "tuning at night".

That thing must be a handful to drive.How long is the wheelbase? it looks short in the picture.

Thanks again for the help!

Rico

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

My kid is comming over wednesday to show me what you need for information.Inthe mean time i loaded the updates to the board drivers for memory issues.(NF 503 2KXP). Circut city was having a sale on 512DDR400 sticks,so I picked up one to try.Whats in there now is Corsair.What I put in was Kingston. It seems to be doing the same thing it was before,a shut down and reboot.I do get a Windows message that it has shut down the computer for a major error with the kernel,that has been repaired and do I want to report it.I got this same message with the Ultra memory stick.

I called tech support on the left coast.There reply was that this board will NOT support a third stick of memory,no matter the size.He hung up before I could gather my wits enough to ask why have a third slot for memory then? Anyway if you have anymore thoughts on this before my kid comes over, please share them.Even if there derrogatory about Mopars.I've got big shoulders,I can handle it.

Rico

Mostly Old Parts And Rust is my take on the situation.

Here we go, by sale I am thinking you bought Kingston value ram. You have started off on the wrong foot again. The error is caused by the memory timings and voltage not being anywhere near correct for the ram you are using. Keep in mind these boards were designed as a performance board for the Socket 754 CPU's and being such the timings in the bios will default to timings that cheap ram just will not play at.

Getting a third stick of RAM to work in these boards is difficult but not impossible. You have to have a little knowledge of RAM and Overclocking to get it to go but it can be done.

Mostly Old Parts And Rust is my take on the situation.

Here we go, by sale I am thinking you bought Kingston value ram. You have started off on the wrong foot again. The error is caused by the memory timings and voltage not being anywhere near correct for the ram you are using. Keep in mind these boards were designed as a performance board for the Socket 754 CPU's and being such the timings in the bios will default to timings that cheap ram just will not play at.

Getting a third stick of RAM to work in these boards is difficult but not impossible. You have to have a little knowledge of RAM and Overclocking to get it to go but it can be done.

yeap that VS1GBKIT400.is infact kingston ram

Actually that PN was for Corsair value slect.I understand what you mean about timing and your right,being a novice,i'm already in over my head. I guess I was just expecting to throw any old thing in there and have it run good.

I decided to break the bank and buy a matched pair of two gig sticks with an eye towards a third stick down the road.So I bought set of rw333s.According to the specs this is what's needed if you ever expand to all three slots(Rosewill 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered Dual Channel).Hopefully I'll be satisfied for awhile.

I do have some questions about cass latency but thats for another time.The hardest thing that I have trouble with is all the terms used.I need to equate these to things I'm familar with,like mopar=winner or chevy=also ran.Anyway, you guys have been great! Thank you for being patient with my silly questions.

Rico