Sign in to follow this  
qwprince

Recommend A Stable Overclocking For My Pc ..

i want a stable config for overclocking my system.

my current system config:

P4 2.4 Ghz 533Mhz

GlacialTech Igloo 4310 Pro @ 4700rpm, ~37CFM, 35+ dB

Gigabyte P4 Titan 8PE667 Ultra2 Mobo

MSI GeForce FX5600 VTDR128 [Memory : 100Mhz, Core: 54Mhz]

2 x 40GB Seagate HDD (5200rpm, 7200rpm each)

512MB Samsung DDR266 (PC2100)

Creative SoundBlaster 128 4D Sound Card

Creative 4.1 Inspire Speakers

Aopen 16X DVD-Drive

32X10x40 BenQ CDRW

Rockwell 56k v.91 Modem

Rhycom 450W Max PSU

-------

till now i had a GeForce2 400MX Graphix coz of which i think, cudnt overclock beyond 2.7Ghz upon which my sound & modem wudnt work. Now that i bought an FX5600 i expect to overclock to the possible limits of p4.i went upto 3.1Ghz and tried TMPGEnc but after some time it gives an error "illegal floating decimal point order". i guess its bcoz of my overclocking. my current overclocked values in cool room temps. are:

2.4Ghz @ 3.1Ghz (Temps: 44C - Normal, 56C - Peak Load)

System Bus: 167Mhz

DRAM Voltage: 2.5

AGP Voltage : 1.5

CPU Voltage : 1.525

-I dont know much abt AGP & PCI bus frequency setting. my monitoring utility shows its running at asynch. 66/33Mhz [Linear 87/47Mhz]

-I havnt upped any voltages - all are on default bios setting, the only change i did was to increase the system bus freq to 167Mhz from BIOS.

-Now what would be a recommended setting for my pc - thats a max. possible cpu speed with stable voltage, ram voltage, agp & pci bus frequency with possible safe voltages

-good software for overclocking my graphics card

-and is a Thermaltake Spark 7 CPU Cooling recommended ? If yes how much temp. wud it reduce from my current temp.?

Edited by qwprince

Ya, I know a guy who can't OC his 900 MHz Tbird at all, but my record for my 950 is 1533 MHz stable.

It really depends on the quality of the chip. Even two identical chips can be a lot different.

well i just wanted to know what configs u people have used for a comparable config. and i very well get the point that i can OC from 1Mhz to 2Ghz

I will give you an idea.

1MHz to 2GHz. That help?

Thanks for that big idea ...

however i can overclock to 3.1 Ghz (167Mhz System Bus) without crashing the system. but it wud be a good idea to know what all are the max. normal people have gone up to without burning the cpu at a near future.

i need to know what all are the stable voltages and when do i need to increase them and by how much. say i might be heating my cpu unnecessarily if i put my voltg to 1.75 when running @ 2.7Ghz .. similiarly with the graphics card ....

if you have good ram up the fsb ..hell , up it anyway......always up the front side bus..... thats the bottleneck.... i wouldnt go past 1.8 voltage ...some peeps will tell you less and some more..... i wont go past it.... and yes your heat will rise the more you up the voltage.... also.....

buy an AMD chip :P

since my system doesnt crash at 3.0Ghz is it advisable to up the voltage and check for stability ?

seems my samsung ram is taking it .. tho im not that sure ...

id saty around 1.7 volts those p4s can kill them selves in a few months with high voltage

true....which means buy an AMD :bah:

amd mebe for my next pc .. but what abt the current p4 i have .. some good overclocking tips wud be nice .. or point me to some overclocking guide/tutorial which has proper explanations ...