If only I could Boot

So for the last week and a half my computer hasn't been working. When I got back from vacation it was off and would not boot. So I started by making a post on these forums thinking that my motherboard was the problem. After exchanging an Ultra-D for a SLI I no longer think that it is. I have tested the memory, processor and the mobo. They all seem to work in other machines or at the store.

My problem is still the orginal one. The computer refuses to boot after working for close to 5 months. The diagnostic LEDs say that the problem is in the ram. I know that the ram is compatiable because it has been working in the machine for months. Therefore I test it in my other machine and in other of my friend's machines. The ram works either with either one stick or two. At this point I believe that the motherboard is somehow broken because it is giving me false error messages. So I then proccede to return my motherboard ( I bought a Server Performance Contract. Yes, they are very good for computer equipment if you know how to play the system). Since they didn't carry the Ultra-D anymore I got a free upgrade to a SLI verison. Wanting to make sure that I got a good board I procede to ask them if they can test it in store before I took it as my replacement. They procede to do so and the board boots up fine with no problem. When I get home I procede to boot up the system with the new motherboard in there. It tells me that once again I have problem with my ram. We all know that isn't true because it has been tested in MULTIPLE machines.

At this point I am stuck. The motherboard says that one piece is broken but we all know that it isn't. Once again I take out all my pieces for my computer and test as many as I can. I test the hard drives ( Yes I know they shouldn't affect booting), ram, processor, and motherboard. Everything that I have the ablity to test passes. This leaves my graphics card and my power supply. On a whim I move my graphics card to the other PCI-E slot hoping that it will work. When I booted up the computer I didn't get the same error that I have been getting. I got one LED left on which means that EVERYTHING has passed the test but the Operating System hasn't booted yet. At this point I am really happy since I didn't have either my hard drive or my monitor plugged in at this time. I had thought that I had fixed it. After plugging in both I was unable to get it to boot or to get a picture on the screen. Tried a combintion with and without my graphics card but nothing changed. It would remain with one LED on. I then tried to clear the CMOS and for the first time since the probably arrose I was able to get a beep out of my motherboard saying that it was atleast reconizing that I was holding down the insert key. After trying serveral 15 minute clears with the graphic card in both slots I learned something new. I would not get a sound when the graphics card was in the top slot. I don't know what this means but I now know that the bottom slot will get more progress in booting then the top.

This is where I leave you to try and help me with my problem. I still don't know if its a problem with the motherboard, graphics card or Power supply since the data and tests I have run all seem to point any of the three.

Any help that anyone is avaiable to offer would be apperciated.

I don't think it is a problem with the mobo. I would test the PSU with a volt meter or one of those PSU testers. Also, make sure all the power connections have been connected on the mobo. Another thing I would check is to make sure you don't have risers where there are no screw holes. If you have one of those touching the mobo it can cause a short and give you errors like this or damage components.

Ok thanks for the help.

As a precaution I went into my case and made sure that there were only risers in the correct spaces. They were only where they were susposed to be and no where else. I haven't yet checked the PSU volt meter but I will get on that tomorrow morning.

If there is anything else people could suggest me do or try I'm all ears.

-Atsp9