Question About Static Discharge

be carefull with static electricity....touch your psu often or get yourself a static wrist strap at radio shack for about 8 dollars...my brother fried his mobo from a static shock when he touched the computer and got a big shock, but his apt was very dry and this causes static electric.

Im about to install my Ultra-D, what precautions should i take?

Like grounding myself every hour or what?

I used to do componant level repair on two way radios and traffic radar. We used a wrist strap connected to an antistatic mat on which the equipment lay. The mat was in turn grounded to earth ground. (cold water pipe or ground prong on conventional 120v outlet).

All that said, that was ideal conditions. Typical PC enthusiests rarely go to those lengths. I use two basic rules of thumb and I have yet to static fry a part. I never work in a room with carpet (MAJOR static generation), and I control the humidity in the house. Always above 50%. Of course there is the common sense stuff. Never touch an exposed trace or contact if you can avoid it, don't lay a card or mobo on a metal surface, etc.

Good luck,

Steve

You don't need a grounding wrist strap, I have worked as a system builder for years and I still can't stand wearing those. My suggestion would be to work in a room without carpet if you can, especially if you live in a dry climate. Before touching any device I would suggest grounding yourself on the case. Also, don't walk around carrying devices unless they are in anti-static bag.

Just as long you're careful you will be fine. I've never killed a device due to a static discharge and I've built quite a few systems on carpet because it was all that was available to me at the time.