Sign in to follow this  
Mach311

Worst Overclocking Opteron 165?

yeah, if your USB ports are screwy, i'd go with what laydback said and up your chipset and LDT voltage a little bit.

Also, I noticed your vid card is oc'ed... i donno if this would help any but i always save the vid card till after i have a stable cpu overclock... maybe use atitool and set it back to default for the time being?

I have tried a couple different bios including 704-2BTA and 310

I tried one stick of memory and the only slot that the computer would boot with was the orange slot furthest from the cpu. When I tried to prime with just one stick windows just froze instead of going to a bluescreen.

I changed to 2T and again windows just froze when priming

I upped the LDT to 1.4 and the chipset to 1.7 and windows froze when priming

Oh and the video card is running stock

I am completely at a loss as to what the problem is :confused:

Alright I am going to let Memtest run overnight and hope that I will wake up tomorrow without any errors since I just got this memory back from RMA.

I have ran memtest through on each stick 8 passes and had 0 errors.

So far this morning, I have tried swapping out my power supply to an Antec 550W which made no difference. I even tried using a stick of 512MB TCCD with no change.

I am pretty much out of ideas at this point

I dont think that windows has become corrupt considering that I have two different windows installations on my hard drive and I have the same result in both. As soon as I back down to 2200Mhz I can prime continously without any problem.

Since I have tried replacing every other part in my system, I think the problem has to be related to one of two items: the cpu or the motherboard.

As much as I really dont want to do it I think I am going to swap my Venice back in and see if I am able to overclock it.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the early operton chips that were having issues. I think it's pretty sad that AMD will not even offer support of the Operton on a desktop motherboard. Just keep at it, I am sure you will get it figured out. Best thing you can do is to swap in the venice and see what that one can do. I wholeheartedly agree that chip should be pumping out more than 2200mhz.

Well, i kinda understand AMD not supporting opterons on desktop boards... It is designed for servers and workstations... plus, it would cut into the profits of their regular a64 line if they offered everything the a64s got plus a better binned chip. Just my 2 cents.

Alright I have just tried my venice and I am getting the same result anything over 245Mhz HTT is causing the pc to reboot. I know for a fact that this processor can do 2750Mhz at stock volts so something has to be seriously wrong :confused: . I also never experienced a rebooting issue with this cpu when running prime in the past, but now it is exhibiting the same behavior as the opteron.

ok, so it's probably some other hardware component that's gone south... do you have any extra sticks of ram you can use to test? or maybe test the processors in another motherboard? I know most people don't have spare socket 939 mobos lying around to test but it's worth a shot if you can find one.