Noobie Divider Help Please

Pdog

Memory Divider Help

Hi Peeps,

First I would like to say what a great community there is going here. I have been a member for a month or so now and I am truly thankful to some of the quality posts that have helped me along the way in building my DFI system.

I have followed Thunda’s Overclocking Guide and have successfully found the max of my CPU which is 10x290 at stock volts. I have tried detailing my settings as much as I can in my signature. The only issue I have now is setting up my memory divider as there is no way that my memory is not going to run over 200mhz. The memory is running in dual channel although they aren’t identical. My current setup is:

(From the Boot up Screen)

DDR 200 CL:2 1T Dual Channel, 128bit TCC 2 TRCD 3 TRAS 5 TRP2(1T Timing)

In BIOS:

FSB Bus 290

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio x3.0

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio x10

Cool N Quiet Disable

CPU Core Voltage 1.40

DRAM Frequency Set 100 =RAM/FSB: 01/02 (This was set purely for Testing the CPU)

Row Cycle Time (TRC) 07 Bus Clocks

Row Refresh Cyc Time (TRFC) Auto

Row to Row Delay (TRRD) 02 Bus Clocks

Write Recovery Time (TWR) 02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read Delay (TWTR) 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write Delay (TRWT) 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (TREF) 3120 Cycles

Write CAS Latency (TWCL) Auto

If anyone can offer any assistance with what divider I should try please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read my first post :)

Just because they arent idecntical, doesnt mean they wont OC at all. I use a bh-5 stick and a TCCD stick (OCZ & GEIL lol) and they OC to about 220 (even though individually they would OC much much higher.

Follow the guide on OCing ram as if they were the same sticks, and see what max OC you can get out of them. Then chose a divider that will get you closest to that speed. You will have to adjust the timings and voltages to get the best OC more than likely.

Good luck.

Welcome to the street,

This is the calculation of fsb by using lets say 9:10 divider:

func: bigger value if not equal to integer

ram speed = (10x290) / func(10x(10/9)) = 2900 / func(11.11) = 2900/12 = 241.6

lets say you are going to use 3:4 divider then ram speed = 2900 / func(10x(4/3)) = 2900 / func (13.33) = 2900 / 14 = 207

So if you can overclock your rams succesfully to 207 you can use 3:4 divider. I downloaded the expert manual but couldnt find divider options - you can check under bios and do the calculation after that.

Please search other "dfi-expert" threads because I remember people are talking about drive strength, read preamble time, and asynchronous latency have big impact on those boards.

Dont forget to try command per clock (cpc) to 2T if you need!

Thanks for replying DublinGunner, I will follow the guide as suggested. If I need anymore pointers i'll post back. Can you explain how I find out what chips I have? for example BH-5 and TCCD.

ooztuncer, thanks for the informative post I have a fiddle.

Thanks

This all sounds confusing, tbh I just want my ram to run near enough at 200mhz as it is meant to, thus allowing my chip to stay at 2900mhz or as close as it can. I will try and follow Thunda Memory overclocking guide, although iirc I only managed 205 to get the memory to 205 on my old NF2 board.

Edit: I'll let you know how i get on, Unless of course I break something :)

Pdog

OK - I think you need to read more but let me give you a starting point. If you cannot overclock your memory you can use these settings for divider:

under dram frequency select your divider 140:ram/fsb 7:10

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/DFI/LPN.../b_dramfreq.jpg

This will put your ram to 193fsb (2900/15=193) little slower than stock settings. If it succesfully boots into windows start testing!

Good luck

OK - I think you need to read more but let me give you a starting point. If you cannot overclock your memory you can use these settings for divider:

under dram frequency select your divider 140:ram/fsb 7:10

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/DFI/LPN.../b_dramfreq.jpg

This will put your ram to 193fsb (2900/15=193) little slower than stock settings. If it succesfully boots into windows start testing!

Good luck

I think I understand what you mean, although you've stated that with the above divider 7:10 where has the 15 come from? Sorry for the simple questions but I am still getting to grips with the whole divider thing.

This is what I have worked out so far: 7/10 divider FSB 290 (203mhz DRAM) Which is 2900mhz is this cirrect?

Pdog